Arch window presets

Info about new implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
yorik
Site Admin

Arch window presets

Postby yorik » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:42 pm

The Arch Window tool is finally a bit easier to use. Besides the normal "start sketching on a face" mode that it already had, it now has several presets:

It works like this:

1) if you have a face of a wall, struct or roof selected when pressing the window button, you go into "start from scratch" mode which allows you to draw a sketch on that face.
2) if you have nothing selected, you enter a more generic mode where you can:
a) draw from scratch by picking a face on a wall, struct or roof
b) select a preset, and adjust its parameters. You can then pick a point in the space or on an existing wall, struct or roof
3) After creation, if you used a preset, the general height and width are parametric and can be changed via the properties. The other parameters can also be changed, either by editing the underlying sketch or double-clicking the window object in the tree to change the extrusion parameters.

More presets should come, and the whole editing system should be refined, but it already allows for a lot of different windows...
bernd

Re: Arch window presets

Postby bernd » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:18 pm

wow, excellent. A window generator. I'm impressed.
paullee

Postby paullee » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:50 am

Hi there,

Whilst I am experimenting making cladding to turn into recessed surfaces of wall openings for windows (discussed in another thread), I am wondering if somewhere in FC it can separate the window frame from panes automatically (e.g when exporting to obj)

I have multi storeys buildIngs, and there are hundreds of windows that i need to separate frame from panes in blender e.g before i can render.

Any idea? Thanks.
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:26 pm

There is no ready tool for that, but it's easy to do with a little macro:

Code: Select all

import FreeCADGui,Part,Draft
for obj in FreeCADGui.Selection.getSelection():
    if Draft.getType(obj) == "Window":
        if len(obj.Shape.Solids) > 1:
            for solid in obj.Shape.Solids: