Arch window presets

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Arch window presets

Post by yorik »

The Arch Window tool is finally a bit easier to use. Besides the normal "start sketching on a face" mode that it already had, it now has several presets:

It works like this:

1) if you have a face of a wall, struct or roof selected when pressing the window button, you go into "start from scratch" mode which allows you to draw a sketch on that face.
2) if you have nothing selected, you enter a more generic mode where you can:
a) draw from scratch by picking a face on a wall, struct or roof
b) select a preset, and adjust its parameters. You can then pick a point in the space or on an existing wall, struct or roof
3) After creation, if you used a preset, the general height and width are parametric and can be changed via the properties. The other parameters can also be changed, either by editing the underlying sketch or double-clicking the window object in the tree to change the extrusion parameters.

More presets should come, and the whole editing system should be refined, but it already allows for a lot of different windows...
bernd
Veteran

Re: Arch window presets

Post by bernd »

wow, excellent. A window generator. I'm impressed.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Hi there,

Whilst I am experimenting making cladding to turn into recessed surfaces of wall openings for windows (discussed in another thread), I am wondering if somewhere in FC it can separate the window frame from panes automatically (e.g when exporting to obj)

I have multi storeys buildIngs, and there are hundreds of windows that i need to separate frame from panes in blender e.g before i can render.

Any idea? Thanks.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

There is no ready tool for that, but it's easy to do with a little macro:

Code: Select all

import FreeCADGui,Part,Draft
for obj in FreeCADGui.Selection.getSelection():
    if Draft.getType(obj) == "Window":
        if len(obj.Shape.Solids) > 1:
            for solid in obj.Shape.Solids:
                Part.show(solid)
joancabeza

Post by joancabeza »

It would be easy to add a "hole/gap window preset"? I know that you can do it manually but there are a lot of situations where you need it and it would be a fast way to create a hole in a wall (or a slab?)
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

joancabeza wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:45 am It would be easy to add a "hole/gap window preset"? I know that you can do it manually but there are a lot of situations where you need it and it would be a fast way to create a hole in a wall (or a slab?)
After you insert a window on a wall, just press space keybar. Then you will have a empty gap.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
joancabeza

Post by joancabeza »

bitacovir wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:44 pm
joancabeza wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:45 am It would be easy to add a "hole/gap window preset"? I know that you can do it manually but there are a lot of situations where you need it and it would be a fast way to create a hole in a wall (or a slab?)
After you insert a window on a wall, just press space keybar. Then you will have a empty gap.
True. Good trick. Simply hide the window, and you still have control of the dimensions. But that means that you still have a fixed window in your model and it might have problems in the IFC export. This window will appear.
Anyway, it works.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I think using a window to make a hole in a wall is overkill... Easier to add a simple box. We could override the box tool in BIM to allow to add a box graphically, the Arch way...
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

yorik wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:25 pm We could override the box tool in BIM to allow to add a box graphically, the Arch way...
Architects... so basic, simple minds... :lol:
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project