EaglePCB importer for FreeCAD

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

EaglePCB importer for FreeCAD

Post by yorik »

This is not ours, but I think this is one of the first full "off-site" projects alive, deserves a mention here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eaglepcb2freecad/
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: EaglePCB importer for FreeCAD

Post by jmaustpc »

And its LGPL, so no licence problems. I like to see interoperability.... :)

Helps FreeCAD be the "one CAD", "one CAD (ring?), to rule them all" ... I am currently reading Tolkien, the Lord of the rings, again. :)
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

I noticed this the other day and installed it. Haven't had much time / call to play with it much but from what little I did with it, it seems to work as advertised. Very cool. Here is the link for a YouTube Video showing the plugin in action.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

This thread now cross-referenced to Mantis ticket #001265
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Good thinking bejant.

BTW there is a new "bug" tag on this forum which automatically links to a ticket on the Mantis bug tracker. You just need to type the ticket number, select it then click on the "bug" button in the message toolbar.

Use:

Code: Select all

[bug]1265[/bug]
Result: issue #1265
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Thanks Norm, seems I learn something new every day. Now If I could only remember...
marmni

Post by marmni »

You found it ;). Plugin is in a beta stadium (how you see) but from version to version I introduce new features (next version is almost ready).
Of course I will be glad if you add this mod to main program line in the future (?).
ToDo list is long but if somebody have some ideas please write.

From issue #1265
This workbench should be able to export/import popular PCB formats.
Implement other formats - why not, but exporting (in my opinion) is no so good idea (but who knows ;) ).
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

I thought this would be great for a 3D cad file of a raspberry Pi. I made the suggestion to the Raspberry Pi foundation, but they cold shouldered the idea by saying that such CAD files already existed, but did not provide any links.

I googled and came across http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Hub#Resources but the STEP files provided do not load into FreeCAD.

The same site has an Eagle v5 file, but this I suspect is too large for the free version of Eagle. Anybody with access to Eagle V6 for reasonably sized PCB's and FreeCAD 0.14 able to produce a FreeCAD file of the pi?

Thanks
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

keithsloan52 wrote:I googled and came across http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Hub#Resources but the STEP files provided do not load into FreeCAD.
This is a little off topic here.

The STEP file won't open in FreeCAD for me either (it's the same file in both rar and zip archives). I still had Solid Edge from work installed in a WinXP virtual machine so I tried the files. No luck: that STEP file is shot, Solid Edge generated a log that says the file is incomplete. I had a go at the Pro Engineer version and was surprised I could open it, since my copy of Solid Edge is 8 years old.

I then exported it to STEP and I was able to import it into FreeCAD. Unfortunately STEP export in Solid Edge sucks, so I lost all component names and colors. I had to rename them manually, and I changed the PCB color to green but didn't bother with the other parts. Other than that the 3D geometry seems to be accurate from the one in Solid Edge.

But I really don't know if that assembly is correct. There's a tiny component labeled "SD_CARD" that doesn't even touch the PCB board.

Hope this helps.

raspberry_b1.fcstd (1.4MB)

Edit: looking at the picture found here, clearly there is a lot of stuff missing from the ProE file I used. The EaglePCB file may be more complete...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

You can get a more complete 3D model of the RaspberryPi Model B on DesignSpark's 3D Model repository but you need to register. Multiple CAD formats are available.

Edit: scratch that, here's a complete working STEP file that you can download without registration: http://www.tronetix.com/joomla/index.php/projects

Wish I had searched before spending time with those damaged files! :roll: