Arch tutorial

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Arch tutorial

Post by triplus »

I noticed the tutorial:

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... nd_windows

Links here for Arch Window tool:

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... rch_Window

Under how to use:

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... How_to_use

I do believe for inserting presets face on a wall must not be selected before activating the Arch Window tool? Point 1 should therefore be removed to remove confusion?
Using a preset
If you are going to draw your window directly on a wall, select one face of a wall
About using keyboard instead of toolbar icon (or press W then I keys) to open the Arch Window tool is this still correct key combination? I get DWire dialogue if pressing this key combination!

Under Using a preset description instructions for setting the snap mode to passive snap should be mentioned?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6313
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

triplus wrote:I do believe for inserting presets face on a wall must not be selected before activating the Arch Window tool? Point 1 should therefore be removed to remove confusion?
I think the text is correct in the tutorial? It says not to select anything...
triplus wrote:About using keyboard instead of toolbar icon (or press W then I keys) to open the Arch Window tool is this still correct key combination? I get DWire dialogue if pressing this key combination!
Uh-oh, you are right! We need to change that...
triplus wrote:Under Using a preset description instructions for setting the snap mode to passive snap should be mentioned?
I'm not sure, because this is not always needed, you can very well snap a window to an edge too...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I'm not sure, because this is not always needed, you can very well snap a window to an edge too...
I see. Maybe to mention two possibilities that currently exists?

One possibility is to select and edge of the Wall (usually for inserting doors) and second possibility to enable passive snap mode when using a Wall Face (usually for inserting window)?

The problem is if this will not be mentioned a lot of (new) users will not be able to successfully insert preset window in the wall when following the instructions.
I think the text is correct in the tutorial? It says not to select anything...
How to use
Using a preset

If you are going to draw your window directly on a wall, select one face of a wall
Press the Arch Window.png Arch Window button, or press W then I keys
Select one of the presets in the list
Fill out the desired parameters

Creating from scratch

Press the Arch Window.png Arch Window button, or press W then I keys
A new sketch will be created (on the selected wall face if applicable). Draw one or more closed wires
Press the CLose button in the task panel to create the window
Enter Edit mode by double-clicking the window in the tree view, to adjust the window components
Using a preset instructions suggests first thing to do is to select one face of a wall? By doing that clicking on Arch Window tool (step 2) will enable "sketch mode" and not offer dialogue where user can select one of the presets available. Instructions under step 1 should say something like "Deselect any previously selected face/edge on the wall prior pressing Arch Window tool button."?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ok I modified the instructions. But feel free to contribute too!