Extended selection window

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Extended selection window

Post by yorik »

I just committed ( git commit ce0f245 )a series of improvements to the selection window, which until now I hadn't really been using much. Now it gained a new search box:
selectionview1.jpg
selectionview1.jpg (44.13 KiB) Viewed 5095 times
When you type text in that search box, all objects whose label contains the search text get selected.

I also modified the display of the selected elements in the list, so the label is displayed too. In the future we can think of ways to extend the search mechanism, but at the moment it seemed to me there is little use to search anything else than in object labels...

The selected items also gained a context menu with a couple of options:
selectionview2.jpg
selectionview2.jpg (133.03 KiB) Viewed 5095 times
You can also double-click an item, which does the same as the "select only" option.

That's it for now, but it can fo course be extended further.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Extended selection window

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Yorik
Great improvement! I use selection view all the time...I can see these improvement being very useful.

I am compiling now and will have a play.....

Jim
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

It will be handy when Groups are used to search for things that are in folders (I replied to Juyam's post and provided a link to this Feature Announcement).
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote:I just committed ( git commit ce0f245 )a series of improvements to the selection window, which until now I hadn't really been using much. Now it gained a new search box:
When you type text in that search box, all objects whose label contains the search text get selected.

I also modified the display of the selected elements in the list, so the label is displayed too. In the future we can think of ways to extend the search mechanism, but at the moment it seemed to me there is little use to search anything else than in object labels...
Great improvement. Makes it really easy to find an object with a specific entitiy number of an ifc-import. Thanks very much.

I would know lot of properties else than the label !!! Just two examples. I use a property string for the ifc-imported material name. If I could use this property in the search and write concrete all concrete objects would be selected. I have a minimalistic importIFC.py in which ALL objects are imported as parts or ArchStructure and the ifcproduct type is written in a string property. If I could use the search and this property just put in ifcslab would select all slabs. ...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes I'm still not sure how to do that, maybe something like duckduckgo's bang system? https://duckduckgo.com/bang.html I kind of like it... !g to search google, !i to search google images, !v to search videos, !tpb to search the pirate bay, etc...
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

There are lots of properties you even don't know they exist ...
yorik wrote:Yes I'm still not sure how to do that, maybe something like duckduckgo's bang system? https://duckduckgo.com/bang.html I kind of like it... !g to search google, !i to search google images, !v to search videos, !tpb to search the pirate bay, etc...
Mhh, may be. Looks like a good idea. I haven't used duckduckgo veery much resently. I'm gone try the bang system ...

Would it be possible to have a switch to search in all Properties instead only the label? I'd be fine with that one allready.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

could it be done so that as soon as you type !, you would get a suggested list of all possible (supported) objects (groups) to chose from?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes all this is possible... Im just not sure how practical this would be, like you would type a couple of letters, and a bunch of objects would appear below, and you would have a hard time figuring out why. This deserves more thinking I believe
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote:Yes all this is possible... Im just not sure how practical this would be, like you would type a couple of letters, and a bunch of objects would appear below, and you would have a hard time figuring out why. This deserves more thinking I believe
Perhaps a two step process,
1) select a property type to search (possibly even have a drop down list with tick boxes to allow multi select) and have an option to simply find everything that has that property
2) be able to then optionally enter text to filter selection based on 1)

But these are just some quick thoughts.

Jim
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

saso wrote:could it be done so that as soon as you type !, you would get a suggested list of all possible (supported) objects (groups) to chose from?
i have expressed myself wrongly here, was thinking about " a suggested list of all possible properties", something like the attached image. i guess it could be easy for standard properties, but harder for custom ones? :|
Attachments
selection.jpg
selection.jpg (9.61 KiB) Viewed 4941 times