FreeCAD-VR: Oculus Rift

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: FreeCAD-VR: Oculus Rift

Post by wmayer »

If I debug it with VS2013 it shows the following error:
When running it inside the debugger don't you get a call stack?
willm86

Post by willm86 »

Also agree this is a great project! Did the jriegel/Rift branch get merged into master (and into the lastest Windows release)? I don't see it on sf.net anywhere.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I believe it was merged into master, but it is not compiled by default. See CMakeLists.txt:

Code: Select all

OPTION(BUILD_VR "Build the FreeCAD Oculus Rift support (need Oculus SDK 4.x or higher)" OFF)
willm86

Post by willm86 »

Got it. Had to make a few changes to CoinRiftWidget.cpp to reflect interface changes in the OculusSDK, but it's working! Is anyone else still using this feature? I'm trying to figure out if there are any richer controls for models when using Oculus viewer - WSAD, Arrow Keys, and Zoom are all I've found and it'd be great if there was the ability to smoothly animate objects for a demo I'm working on.
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

Bad news for OSX and Linux users:
Our development for OS X and Linux has been paused in order to focus on delivering a high quality consumer-level VR experience at launch across hardware, software, and content on Windows. We want to get back to development for OS X and Linux but we don’t have a timeline.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

http://www.wine-reviews.net/2015/05/ocu ... c-and.html

"Oculus announced today that they will be dropping support for their Virtual Reality Oculus Rift platform on Mac and Linux due to the need to focus solely on the Windows platform for the foreseeable future."
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

An alternate way for Linux users:
OpenHMD
python-rift

Blogpost about using python-rift in Blender

OpenHMD/python-rift supports rotational but does not support positional tracking, since it is proprietary. Reverse engineering the Rift positional tracking
mangtronix

Post by mangtronix »

Do you think it's possible to use this code for side-by-side stereo, like on a 3D projector? I wonder if it's as simple as turning off the distortion? I have a projector that does side-by-side stereo and it would be great to see my models in 3D on the big screen :)
http://michaelang.com - Art / Engineering
nollnoll

Post by nollnoll »

Hi All,

New, and not fully (or actually at all) qualified to write in the developers section, but will anyway.

The title of the thread mentions one of the two main headsets, my question is, will the development done for Oculus be useful/portable to also cover the Vive?

Kind regards

Patrik
dmytty

Post by dmytty »

I agree with this. It would be nice if the HTC Vive was supported. Steam works on Linux, and unlike Oculus, it's not owned by Facebook (a plus in my book).

Also, perhaps the thread name could be retitled to Oculus Rift + HTC Vive? Search engines would find it easier.