Arch CutPlane

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Re: Arch CutPlane

Post by bernd »

Wow looks awesome !!! Especially the screen of Yoriks Testhouse viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8411&start=10#p69696

I'm missing something! I'm not able to cut my building like this. Could give someone a little step by step instruction?

EDIT: rockn has given an introduction on youtub (see post before) but only for two objects not for lots of objects like in yoriks screen.

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.15.4208 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 3c61d41dbfce0a868f1db34b8c81c4c0b3f54789
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.7.1
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

They are two different things, yorik was simply using the "View > Clipping plane" with lighting property set to "one face" (sort of a hack). Take a look at the discussion we had on the first page of this topic.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Step by step to achieve that:
1. turn all your shape objects from "two-sided" lighting to "one-sided"
2. add a View->Clipping Plane
3. Enable an axis

Of course, we could also do interesting tricks in the section planes with all this (allow to set all shapes to "one-sided" lighting, make the section plane add and remove a clipping plane to the coin scene, etc...).

One thing that is not perfect, it's when objects have coplanar faces but with opposite normals, there is some garbage there (visible on the screenshot). But all 3d apps have that problem, I don't think there is an easy solution, apart from doing a lot of booleans or leaving a little gap between objects...