fillet keeps failing

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
flairlab

fillet keeps failing

Post by flairlab »

Hi all, I'm relatively new to FreeCAD.

I have a fusion of several relatively basic shapes that I wish to appy a fillet to. When I select the fusion, then fillet, and try for a radius of 1 on the top face edges by selecting the face, the fusion disappears and the fillet says "BRep_API: command not done". I've included some screenshots. Any tips on how I should fillet this combined shape? I've also tried filleting the pads first, but then doing a fusion of them is giving me buggy shapes with faces missing.

My version info:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.4945 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 6cd9220079a1efb1a2f33842fa614521a31bf0d5
Python version: 2.7.9
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

Thanks for any help!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: fillet keeps failing

Post by jmaustpc »

Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD.

Without your file we can not say specifically what is wrong. However one guess could be that the solid is invalid in some way. You could try running Part Check Geometry (with extended BOP checks enabled) and you may find a problem.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

you could also check if you have set tangency constraints between all edges in your sketch. The filleting algorithm is rather sensitive to "close, but not realy tangent" conditions.
split007

Post by split007 »

Hi,

I’m new to FreeCAD and this is my first post.
I have the same issue, I made the fillets everywhere with the exception of the ones with red arrows.
The model is symmetrical, but the edges that it accepted to do in the left side it rejected on the right side.
holder.jpg
holder.jpg (175.58 KiB) Viewed 958 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: tag: 0.16.6706
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

split007 wrote:I have the same issue, I made the fillets everywhere with the exception of the ones with red arrows.
The model is symmetrical, but the edges that it accepted to do in the left side it rejected on the right side.holder.jpg
Welcome here too. From the picture it looks like the sharp corners are a problem. There are 4 edges connected at a very close distance. Fillets don't work if they have to cross an existing edge (I hope it is understandable, with my english capabilities I cannot do better).

Sometimes it is possible to build fillets from one side but not from both, so it is somewhat cumbersome but not very surprising that the fillets work differently on the symmetric sides.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.