FC v0.17dev: Part Design Next Usecases and Best practices

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: FC v0.17dev: Part Design Next Usecases and Best practices

Post by DeepSOIC »

Pinning this thread again, now for long.
cox

Post by cox »

I updated the first post with some info on Loft and Sweep support for multi profile sketches.

I am wondering if this information is correct or compleat. Might it be that the underlying code update has had impact on other functions than Loft and Sweep.

The linked post mentions a pipe function, is this the arch_pipe?

Are the changes in this regard tied to Part or PartDesign or is it both.?

I have not been running 0.17 lately, so I am a bit uncertain. Any info anyone can provide will be updated in the post.

For the moderators or anyone with access to modify the first post of this topic. Please feel free to edit :D
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

cox wrote:For the moderators or anyone with access to modify the first post of this topic. Please feel free to edit
You can edit your own posts, you only have to be a moderator to edit other people's posts. :)
cox

Post by cox »

jmaustpc wrote:You can edit your own posts, you only have to be a moderator to edit other people's posts. :)
My intention was to offer other people who already has editing privileges (such as yourself) the possibility to do so. I think it is important that the information is as up to date as possible now that DeepSOIC pinned the topic :D .
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

The proper way to do this is to make a wiki page. I'm soo lazy.... :oops:
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If i understand the purpose of this thread correctly it is more about building momentum around FreeCAD 0.17 than anything else. Therefore in my opinion currently this is forum and not Wiki material.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Forum is good for me, because I see immediately the "unread symbol" can look at the entry and can hopefully learn something new again.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have read the posts under this topic, have rebuilt several of the projects shown here and learnt already some basics about the new concept of Part Design Next.
With this post I would like to go the other way: I have this model for a car's door lock, which I would like to discuss here in order to learn how to improve stability in terms of parametrization. And so I would like to hear your recommendations how to achieve this task.
It has a linear dependency graph and is supposed to be fully parametric. However, it brakes very easyly, even if I make only tiny changes. E.g. if I change in the basic Sketch "Sketch" the distance of the holes at the right from 37.8 mm to 38mm. Here is not the place to discuss this topic, but the reason is, that with the change a renaming of faces takes place - although I don't understand why, because it seems as if all relations stay the same.
Anyway I hope to learn something about Part Design Next.
sketchBroken.png
sketchBroken.png (21.01 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
Attachments
doorlock.FCStd
(318.27 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

Any idea concerning the topological naming problem in doorlock.FCStd?
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... ng_Project
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

For this special problem I have found a solution: I don't use the equality constraints on the circles any more. Instead I use expressions making the diameters slightly different (1/10000 mm).
Since this is only fooling the topological naming I still would like to see a possibility to solve the problems with the new 0.17 possibilities.