Arch Wall Cladding

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rockn
Veteran

Arch Wall Cladding

Post by rockn »

Hi,
I need to add Cladding to my project.
I already do this without using the Multiwall function
bardage.jpg
bardage.jpg (16.85 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
but I have to make a pad and an difference to make hole for window inside the cladding.
Now I have to add cladding all the floor and I would like the hole's window are automatically created. There is a lot of window on the wall that I need to clad and they can change in the futur.
Have you got an idea to make this thing on a wall ?
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
yorik
Founder

Re: Arch Wall Cladding

Post by yorik »

Yes, I have an idea: First you build your cladding with any other tool like partdesign. Then, with the cladding selected, you press the wall tool. This will build a wall using the cladding shape as its shape, thus turning your cladding into a wall object (the cladding object is still there underneath). Then, you can subtract the window from it like if it was a normal wall (the same window that you already subtracted from the base wall).

All the arch objects are made with the idea that you should always be able to give them any shape you can imagine, so normally you can always model an object with other tools and turn it into an arch object. The only requirement is that it must be a solid, or a compound of solids.

Nice work, BTW, is it the same house you showed the other day?
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

Hi Yorik,

Thank you for the tips, it's work pretty well.
archprojet.jpg
archprojet.jpg (36.65 KiB) Viewed 5929 times
The clading is a Wall of Array of Pad. ;)

Yes it's always the same arch project. I can not wait that customers stop their architectural choices so I can past the design of the wood frame.
olle

Post by olle »

Hi, and thanks for making FreeCAD. I think it is quite useful (although time consuming :) )

I'm trying to model a house with vertical wood boards as cladding and I have tried to follow what you are doing in this thread without success.

Could you please explain step by step how I should do to create my wall cladding. I have managed to make an array of pads into a wall object, but it doesn't follow a "WallTrace".

Best regards
//Olle
Simple summerhouse
Simple summerhouse
Hus.png (107.82 KiB) Viewed 5816 times
Below are my SW details
Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.2993 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 270d25658dd98e5fee475d9e534212f0ed373002
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.1
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.5.0
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

Hi olle, I just see your post...
The array can't follow the wall trace. You have to make the cladding with the right dimensions and then upgrade it to wall. Now we can applied Windows(new or not) on it.
Now with the Arch Frame Tool, perhaps it is possible to have clad profil that follow line or sketch.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

rockn wrote:Now with the Arch Frame Tool, perhaps it is possible to have clad profil that follow line or sketch.
Yes, but you would need to draw a line for every plank, which would be heavy... I think the best option is to model one plank, make an array of it with Draft Array, then turn it into a wall with Arch Wall.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Hi there,

I have a similar problem.

Yorik's method works well except that I also need to create faces or cladding to turn in around the window / door opening and stop at the window cill / door jamb / door head at external face.

Currently those 4 sides are not 'cladded'

I tried facebinder but no luck - the faces created also cover the internal face behind the window / door.

Any idea?

paul

rockn wrote:Hi Yorik,

Thank you for the tips, it's work pretty well.
archprojet.jpg
The clading is a Wall of Array of Pad. ;)

Yes it's always the same arch project. I can not wait that customers stop their architectural choices so I can past the design of the wood frame.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Actually the concept of "wrapping" something around a wall, in order to create claddings, coatings, and all kinds of finishings, is not implemented yet. I still haven't a good idea of how to do that.

What could work well in your case is this (this is what I usually use to make those finishing layers):

- create a draft facebinder from the faces of the wall you wish to put cladding on, including the sides of the windows
- give that facebinder a little extrusion value
- create a thin horizontal plate, that would have the thickness of the space between two planks of the cladding. For ex, a draft rectangle that you extrude, or an arch panel
- create a vertical array from that thin plate, up to the height of your wall
- subtract that array from the facebinder with Part Boolean cut

The facebinder is parametric, so if your wall changes, so will the cladding
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Thanks!

I can create facebinder but not following you the other steps.

Highlighted is a face that include not only external surface, where cladding or finishes is expected, but also included internal surface as I said.

Then, I try follow your step; I try extrude in part WB (always can't figure out the x,y,z vs normal etc setting) the result is weird to me....

Hope you can give more detailed explanation, thanks in advance.
Screenshot from 2016-12-10 01-59-05.png
Screenshot from 2016-12-10 01-59-05.png (213.03 KiB) Viewed 4181 times

yorik wrote:Actually the concept of "wrapping" something around a wall, in order to create claddings, coatings, and all kinds of finishings, is not implemented yet. I still haven't a good idea of how to do that.

What could work well in your case is this (this is what I usually use to make those finishing layers):

- create a draft facebinder from the faces of the wall you wish to put cladding on, including the sides of the windows
- give that facebinder a little extrusion value
- create a thin horizontal plate, that would have the thickness of the space between two planks of the cladding. For ex, a draft rectangle that you extrude, or an arch panel
- create a vertical array from that thin plate, up to the height of your wall
- subtract that array from the facebinder with Part Boolean cut

The facebinder is parametric, so if your wall changes, so will the cladding
Attachments
Facade _ Study _ 02b2 _ part 4.fcstd
(60.68 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Like this:
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (208.91 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
The extrusion of the facebinder is not perfect (one sees the "sides" of the extruded faces), not sure if I can make that better...

About your problem, there is no ready solution for that yet (We definitely need something to "slice" solids to add new edges), but what I would do is
1) create a volume that intersects your wall exactly where you wan to split that face
2) subtract that volume from the wall
3) from the same volume and wall, create an intersection
4) turn the intersection into a wall as well
Attachments
siding.FCStd
(114.91 KiB) Downloaded 85 times