What's new in PartDesign Next

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Fat-Zer

Re: What's new in PartDesign Next

Post by Fat-Zer »

DeepSOIC, nice list up...
DeepSOIC wrote:4.4 Mirrored , Polar Pattern, Linear Pattern and Multitransform now can transform multiple features at once.
As a bore I have to notice that It was possible in the old partDesign as well, but the implementation was a bit broken... To be honest it was one of the reason why I've got interest so much in this branch because of :roll:
DeepSOIC wrote:2.3 Part can be placed. Everything contained in the Part is translated/rotated, without causing a recompute. The links to outside of Part will be as if the Part is at the origin, so even a forced recompute will not alter the geometry of the Part. (As far as I understand, this is the fundamental difference that was required to make Assembly work.)
Also should be noted that Parts have nothing to do with PartDesign (At least I suppose they won't in the nearest future)... It's a general object.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

I was about to post a question of how people are supposed to use PartDesign, until I decided to search first and found this post. I started using FreeCAD at around version 0.13, and started with PartDesign, and got burned pretty quickly. You know, when you are about ten or twenty steps into a part design and decided to change the constraint on the first few steps, and suddenly all hell break loose. I've since switched to Part and developed the habit of always clear Sketch support when possible. I always wondering why would any one want to use PartDesign in the first place ( also, why there is no dedicated button to clear sketch support :). But now, it seems it's time to give it a second try, especially with the emerging assembly capability.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You found a post that is 1 1/2 year old - and still top news! Well, sort of. You may rather have a look at one of the pinned topics in the help section. There are great examples linked: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15432
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

chrisb wrote:You found a post that is 1 1/2 year old - and still top news! Well, sort of. You may rather have a look at one of the pinned topics in the help section. There are great examples linked: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15432
Thanks for the tip. Almost missed it, since you didn't quote and I didn't get the notification. I wasn't actively looking because I have this massive model built in span of more than two years, all using Part. I just can't afford to turn into PartDesign, yet. Besides, I am busy on other aspect of this project. But there will be time for my venture into this new world. I've browsed a few pages of that post, and it is so tempting. Err... if only I was in this forum earlier!
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

realthunder wrote: Thanks for the tip. Almost missed it, since you didn't quote and I didn't get the notification. I wasn't actively looking because I have this massive model built in span of more than two years, all using Part. I just can't afford to turn into PartDesign, yet. Besides, I am busy on other aspect of this project. But there will be time for my venture into this new world. I've browsed a few pages of that post, and it is so tempting. Err... if only I was in this forum earlier!
Sorry about not quoting, there was nothing special to refer to and I didn't have the notification mechanism in mind.
And yes, this forum is great. I see it as a vital part of the whole FreeCAD project where you get individual support for all kind of problems or questions concerning FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

Is there a document somewhere telling the entire concept of partdesign? What is the difference between a part and a body? What goes inside what? Does it have to go, etc.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

jnxd wrote:Is there a document somewhere telling the entire concept of partdesign? What is the difference between a part and a body? What goes inside what? Does it have to go, etc.
Check this out:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15269
  1. Body. A body is a single solid created from multiple individual PartDesign features. It does group all features used for its creation beneath it in the tree. It does provide an Origin (Planes and axis) which can be used in the features as references. Furthermore it can be freely moved without making it nesseccary to move the individual features.
  2. Part. A part is not related to PartDesign but is a new general FreeCAD element. It provides a local coordinate system and can be used to group any kind of FreeCAD stuff and move it as one unit. This will be the future basis for assemblies.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

kkremitzki wrote:
Check this out:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15269
  1. Body. A body is a single solid created from multiple individual PartDesign features. It does group all features used for its creation beneath it in the tree. It does provide an Origin (Planes and axis) which can be used in the features as references. Furthermore it can be freely moved without making it nesseccary to move the individual features.
  2. Part. A part is not related to PartDesign but is a new general FreeCAD element. It provides a local coordinate system and can be used to group any kind of FreeCAD stuff and move it as one unit. This will be the future basis for assemblies.
So, is that saying that a when assemblies are implemented, bodies will be the equivalent of parts in, for eg, autodesk inventor, and parts can be used as assemblies? Are bodies also subclasses of parts?
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

jnxd wrote:bodies will be the equivalent of parts in, for eg, autodesk inventor,
I've never seen inventor, so no idea...

jnxd wrote:parts can be used as assemblies?
Yes.

jnxd wrote:Are bodies also subclasses of parts?
Well, kind of. Grouping functionality is added as an extension, by multiple inheritance. So if you test body for isDerivedFrom("App::Part"), it will return "No". But it almost is.
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

DeepSOIC wrote:
jnxd wrote:bodies will be the equivalent of parts in, for eg, autodesk inventor,
I've never seen inventor, so no idea...

jnxd wrote:parts can be used as assemblies?
Yes.

jnxd wrote:Are bodies also subclasses of parts?
Well, kind of. Grouping functionality is added as an extension, by multiple inheritance. So if you test body for isDerivedFrom("App::Part"), it will return "No". But it almost is.
Excited to see the developments in PartDesign Next. So what else needs to be completed in PartDesign Next before Assembly can be implemented on top of it?