FreeCAD on the web

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD on the web

Post by triplus »

drei wrote:We could always start testing the waters with new stuff. But that would require commitment from the people proposing the idea. For now I'll stick with managing FreeCAD's facebook page. (I've been getting good feedback from users over there).

On a side note: Does anyone know of good sites/online journals where we could publish FreeCAD related stuff? Such as reviews and announcements? Kind of thinking of writing an article (just an idea for the moment).
As no official response regarding Planet was made and that in FreeCAD terminology comes down to nothing i guess. Therefore indeed no point in wasting energy on Planet anymore.

As for the work you are planing to do good luck and i guess just do what you feel should be done. You said you are already getting good response therefore you are likely doing what should be done.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

triplus wrote:As no official response regarding Planet was made and that in FreeCAD terminology comes down to nothing i guess. Therefore indeed no point in wasting energy on Planet anymore.
A refresher seems necessary:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=143&start=320#p135699
NormandC wrote:A blog would require a new web app to install and manage. There's currently only one person who manages the FreeCAD web apps (forum, wiki, tracker): Yorik. So it would mean yet another responsibility on his plate.
Just replace "blog" with "planet".

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=143&start=320#p135773
yorik wrote:Norm is right, personally at the moment I cannot do more...
IMO that's as "official" as it can get with the FreeCAD project.

I've said it many times already: if those making suggestions are unable or unwilling to volunteer in implementing their suggestion themselves, they should not complain if the very few who do the existing work aren't willing to add more to their already busting full plate.

I have reread the past few posts, and nowhere have I seen someone actually volunteer to help Yorik with management/installation of web apps such as a Planet. Yet it's the simple thing that will get this moving forward with no further discussion nor "official approval"!

And it's funny that you say "no point in wasting energy on Planet": what energy was involved here apart from talk? Talk is easy and gets nothing done. I would think you should know that by now, since you've lately been working on python modules yourself.

P.S. Just for example my UI proposal: you volunteered to work on it for which I am (grudgingly I must admit ;) ) grateful. But I would not talk repeatedly of it if no one had showed interest in implementing it.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes much ado about nothing again.

P.S. Point taken.
drei

Post by drei »

On a lighter note:
Check this article from Hognkiat: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/free-cad-software/
FreeCAD is mentioned in it, and the main picture is a great example of FreeCAD's Arch Module.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Using FreeCAD (available for the Pi2 and above)!!!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

yorik wrote:Using FreeCAD (available for the Pi2 and above)!!!
I only managed to install FC v0.14 on Raspbian/Pi3. After I enabled hardware accelerated OpenGL, it was barely usable. I wanted to make a standalone control panel for my 3d printer based on raspberry pi, aimed at super quick design-and-print sequence, but the slowness of FreeCAD made me abandon this idea.

On the photo, it looks more like windows 10. Or maybe something else than Raspbian.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

bernd wrote:FEM is growing too ... https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/eskom-op ... =prof-post
wow!!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Does it mean that het is on the forum too?? ...
At least if my wife want's to go to South Afrika (She likes the country) i now where to work :lol: