Love of all my life (WIP)

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Konstantin

Love of all my life (WIP)

Post by Konstantin »

Hello freecaders!
Long long time ago I was a hobbyist musician and luthier. It's hard to get a good wood here, so I had to stop making guitars, and it's a pain for me till now. The last guitar I've made was the best, I think, It looked exactly as I wanted, The custom tremolo bridge was designed by me to. Unfortunately, I've sold it and even deed not made a photo of it. I don't know what's happened with it, is it still alive, or it died crushing into the scene on some drunk party? :(

Since then I dream to make another one, better, licked with help of FreeCAD and CNC machinery, opensorce, make model fully customable (measure, string spacing, 6 or 7 or even 8 strings, number of frets)... Dreams, dreams, dreams. And in reality I never have time for it, or get stuck with FreeCAD, or lazy for making calculations... Time is going and I am stuck with always almost done, but always unhappy with some part, and then rebuilding it from scratch. This is wrong.

People, help me to decide, should I continue, or should I stop for once?

P.s. Here's almost fully done Assembly of separate parts (oh... if there would be an abbility to have one spreadsheet for all files)
Attachments
Screenshot_20170104_230726.png
Screenshot_20170104_230726.png (114.6 KiB) Viewed 3908 times
emills2

Re: Love of all my life (WIP)

Post by emills2 »

Well, i don't know why you're unhappy with it, but it looks really good in that picture!

Re modeling from scratch can be fun, but it's very time consuming. You need to decide...do you want to model a guitar, or do you want to make a guitar?

If you want to make a guitar, you will tolerate minor flaws in the model.

Good luck!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I don't know why you are not happy with this model? It looks very perfect to me! Very nice control of the curves...
by the way, you're not alone! viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19552
Konstantin

Post by Konstantin »

Ok. I have tried to assemble it in 0.17 version. I think there's nothing I can squeze more of it. It is almost parametric :), at least I can easily change string measure, neck angle, string spacing, with more work I could do it 6 string guitar... What else?

Next thing I would like to do is to make G-code for CNC in FreeCAD and try it, but now I don't have time for it. A new factory building is on the way, so I wil not have time for it.

I'm leaving it here. Maybe some luthiers-freecaders will find it interesting, maybe they will build it for me? :lol:

https://yadi.sk/d/defNrAgu38sndy
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Konstantin wrote:with more work I could do it 6 string guitar
For a six-fingered man? playing a 7-string guitar
"fight the good fight"
Konstantin

Post by Konstantin »

No, 7 strings for me is the best. Especially with clean G tuning for two handed tapping playing. I love it. ;)