CAD Challenge

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gsegura96

CAD Challenge

Post by gsegura96 »

Hi!
I've been using FreeCAD for about 2 years, but mainly for laser cut projects and I wanted to test it with more complex designs. I'm really satisfied with the results.

These models were created for the Reddit CAD Challenge https://www.reddit.com/r/cad/
I'm using FreeCAD 0.17 compiled from GitHub, so I've used all the new features of the Part Design workbench to create them. They could work as a reference for someone trying to learn medium-advanced skills on FreeCAD.

The files can be found at my GitHub https://github.com/gsegura96/CAD-Callenge
Attachments
Moderate.png
Moderate.png (68.25 KiB) Viewed 17617 times
Moderate.png
Moderate.png (96.27 KiB) Viewed 17617 times
Moderate.png
Moderate.png (114.95 KiB) Viewed 17617 times
Advanced.png
Advanced.png (47.06 KiB) Viewed 17617 times
bejant
Veteran

Re: CAD Challenge

Post by bejant »

Hi gsegura96, I see this is your first post (and quite a nice one), so welcome here! In looking at your images the models look nicely done!
gsegura96 wrote:These models were created for the Reddit CAD Challenge https://www.reddit.com/r/cad/
For anyone who doesn't want to wade through all the forum topics:

CAD Challenge 12 is here. (Design a wheel and model a tire for a Tesla automobile.)

CAD Challenge 11 is here; it's from ten days ago and the images are below.

Beginner:

Intermediate:

Advanced:
20170116c-CADchallenge11adv.gif
20170116c-CADchallenge11adv.gif (25.69 KiB) Viewed 17517 times
gsegura96 wrote:I'm using FreeCAD 0.17 compiled from GitHub, so I've used all the new features of the Part Design workbench to create them. They could work as a reference for someone trying to learn medium-advanced skills on FreeCAD.
The would serve nicely as tutorials (I think 0.16 would do too); I'm a little tempted to make a video of the modelling process. Creating a 2d drawing from the 3D model using Tech Draw would be nice to include.

Thanks for sharing!
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

gsegura96 wrote:I wanted to test it with more complex designs. I'm really satisfied with the results.
Thanks for your testimonial. It should help to encourage new users that it is definitely worth investing the time to become this proficient.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

Interesting Links, thanks for sharing.
Also nice models, great work ...

I am thinking of adding some sort of isometric-FreeCAD-Parts-Gallery to the Wiki-Tutorials (?) with images, and sample parts.
Here are my first two attempts:
Halterung.JPG
Halterung.JPG (42.68 KiB) Viewed 17427 times
Gelenk.JPG
Gelenk.JPG (39.57 KiB) Viewed 17461 times
Roland
Last edited by r-frank on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated first picture
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
A_3

Post by A_3 »

This is something I'm working in my free time, a document (fcd2p.pdf) with technical drawings-examples for practice. I hope that this will help begginers to get familiar with FreeCAD.

Notice: This is not the final version.Probably there are some errors that I will remove the future( there is one missing E :evil: ), or I'll add more complex drawings. Until then enjoy in practice with current version.
Attachments
rect4136.png
rect4136.png (152.5 KiB) Viewed 17434 times
fcd2p.pdf
(188.58 KiB) Downloaded 1348 times
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

A_3 wrote:This is something I'm working in my free time, a document (fcd2p.pdf) with technical drawings-examples for practice. I hope that this will help begginers to get familiar with FreeCAD.

Notice: This is not the final version.Probably there are some errors that I will remove the future( there is one missing E :evil: ), or I'll add more complex drawings. Until then enjoy in practice with current version.
This is a seriously awesome resource! It's basically an open source workbook for FreeCAD!

It reminds me of something I saw in the Open Source Ecology wiki, instructions on how to take a "FreeCAD test" which involve recording one's desktop as some object is created, and then using Kdenlive to speed up the video into something that quickly shows how you create the object.

It looks like Kdenlive is cross-platform, although RecordMyDesktop appears to be Linux only. Still, there's an opportunity here: instructions could be included for basically self-submitting proof of work for this workbook onto Youtube, helping create even more educational content and raising the profile of FreeCAD.

What do you think? Do you plan on putting up a Github repo for the workbook?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

This is VERY nice A_3!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

A_3 wrote:This is something I'm working in my free time, a document (fcd2p.pdf) with technical drawings-examples for practice.
Very Nice! +1
PS put year 2017 which it is very up to date ;)
A_3

Post by A_3 »

@ kkremitzki

Thanks. The next version will be probably set in a repo or some "drive".

@yorik

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

@easyw-fc

Thanks, new version will be up to date with 2017on cover page. :)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

r-frank wrote:Interesting Links, thanks for sharing.
Also nice models, great work ...

I am thinking of adding some sort of isometric-FreeCAD-Parts-Gallery to the Wiki-Tutorials (?) with images, and sample parts.
I like this idea. Maybe FreeCAD Exercises. All the examples in this post would be a natural follow on to the Basic_Part_Design_Tutorial
For me this is a good way of learning, follow along with detailed instructions, then do the problems at the end of the chapter (back when there were text books). If there were example files we can host them on the FreeCAD/Examples and link to them from the wiki.
"fight the good fight"