UI improvement proposal: mouse navigation indicator

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: UI improvement proposal: mouse navigation indicator

Post by triplus »

Hi @pablogil. This is the design i settled with:

At 16px round corners of mouse button only result in blur. I retired the run as macro option and icons are now regular SVG files. If you plan to improve something just do a pull request after. And as you can see 3 dedicated navigation style icons are still missing:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17323#p153408
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

I´ll have a look, I have some ideas to replace the remaining icons.

Thanks for the call ;)
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
agryson

Post by agryson »

pablogil wrote:I´ll have a look, I have some ideas to replace the remaining icons.
Mouse icon looks great!
But may I suggest that rather than having fill=none, you use Snowy White or Aluminium 1? This would ensure that if the user uses a dark theme the icon is still visible.

I also like the idea of having a touchpad icon for touchpads etc.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

:D this is a great usability boost. I really hope this can make it into the release of 0.17. Anything others can do to help?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
agryson

Post by agryson »

kkremitzki wrote:Anything others can do to help?
Just keep doing what you're doing. Only difference now is we have a place to do it! :D
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

agryson wrote:Mouse icon looks great!
If you read the thread this is third or forth attempt. And i gave the last one the standard 2 to 3 day treatment.
But may I suggest that rather than having fill=none, you use Snowy White or Aluminium 1? This would ensure that if the user uses a dark theme the icon is still visible.
I tested on light/dark stylesheet and got good results. Mono color scheme approach is usually used for indicator purposes. Therefore this feels appropriate to me. But as everything it can be further explored in the future and if better results can be achieved why not. Likely not from my side as i already did my part. But beyond that anything is possible.
kkremitzki wrote::D this is a great usability boost. I really hope this can make it into the release of 0.17. Anything others can do to help?
Well this thread was moved to development forum section therefore i guess now i do have to think about on how to properly place Python based UX improvement in FreeCAD. If i look back my FreeCAD related work in the last few years was UX oriented and i do feel i now have an idea or two on how to properly place some of it in FreeCAD if that should happen. Will think about this a bit and after consult with core devs about it.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

pablogil wrote:I´ll have a look, I have some ideas to replace the remaining icons.

Thanks for the call ;)
Review.png
Review.png (21.55 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
Hi Pablo.

First of all thank you for deciding to contribute to navigation indicator effort. I know you invested few hours of your time in your contribution and thank you for doing that. I feel that deserves a proper review of the work done and hopefully that will be reflected in the pull request.

OpenInventor:

There was no dedicated icon for this navigation style before. You made one and that should usually be enough. But i detected too much detail for 16px icon. Remove the 6 outer elements and only size up the middle element. Or do something else as you see it fit. Note that for dark stylesheet you will likely want to add tiny outline to top surface if you decide to size up the middle element.

CAD:

There was an icon for CAD navigation style already. Therefore i must evaluate if your proposal improves things. At 16px size it's hard to read the text and basically all what the icon does is it says CAD again. From UX point of view this is a big step back. As navigation indicator should improve first time users experience and make it easier for them to navigate FreeCAD. Therefore from this point of view mouse icon makes more sense as it gives the user better clue on what that place of the interface actually does. I don't feel your current attempt has any real chance. You likely just did this to tease me a bit. Try harder or restore the original icon.

MayaGesture:

There was no dedicated icon for this navigation style before. You made one and you did a good job.

Gesture:

I made the first version and i knew it has 2 issues. It was too perfectly round and it had small issue in dark stylesheet. You took care of both issues. Good job!

OpenCascade:

There was no dedicated icon for this navigation style before. You made one and you did a good job.

Undefined:

From UX point of view geometry should be the same as for the default icon. I wanted to make just the wheel red but that would not cut it. I settled with the additional red outline. You went further and added red fill to it. Things escalated too much. User could easily get the impression something way too serious just happened. Therefore try harder or restore the original icon.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi Pablo.

I had some free time today therefore i merged your contribution and after applied the observations i mentioned in the review:
Pull.png
Pull.png (21.67 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
I left your take on the CAD navigation style icon in the resources folder. As if in the future default navigation style would change from UX point of view likely mouse icon should be used for the new default navigation style and the CAD navigation style therefore already has dedicated icon provided. Now that all navigation styles have dedicated icon i can add additional small feature i was thinking about in the past. And i need to finish tooltips and that will likely be it!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Beautiful work and thanks to all involved, this is gonna help a lot :D

The icons are all nice and visually distinct and easy to differentiate with a glance. Now the different mouse models can be more easily demonstrated in an introduction to FreeCAD and people will be able to easily find a model that works for them.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

triplus wrote:Hi Pablo.

I had some free time today therefore i merged your contribution and after applied the observations i mentioned in the review:

Pull.png

I left your take on the CAD navigation style icon in the resources folder. As if in the future default navigation style would change from UX point of view likely mouse icon should be used for the new default navigation style and the CAD navigation style therefore already has dedicated icon provided. Now that all navigation styles have dedicated icon i can add additional small feature i was thinking about in the past. And i need to finish tooltips and that will likely be it!
Hey, I was just going to update them with the exact result as you did... I fully agree with your previous comments so your modifications are done consequently... great job ;)

I will then use this spare time to upload a new workbench I have finished yesterday of my "Simple icons" theme. :D
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here