Units for feedrate

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
danielfalck

Units for feedrate

Post by danielfalck »

I still use imperial units for CAM and would like to bring something up about feedrates- in the property panels it seems that there is only 'mm/s' for feedrates for Path operations.

I submitted a bug report on Mantis about this:

[bug]https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=2890[/bug]

In the past, I think we ignored the units in the feedrates entries in the property panels for operations, but we really should figure out how to fix it. I know it's probably deep in the units source somewhere in the main FreeCAD App directory, but I did a little grepping and can't seem to find where 'mm/s' is coming from.
mlampert
Veteran

Re: Units for feedrate

Post by mlampert »

I think the feed rate is just a number and whatever unit the post processor sets is what is being used.
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

mlampert wrote:I think the feed rate is just a number and whatever unit the post processor sets is what is being used.
That is true, so maybe the solution is to remove "App::PropertySpeed" from the property panel entry boxes and use "App::PropertyFloat" instead.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

danielfalck wrote:That is true, so maybe the solution is to remove "App::PropertySpeed" from the property panel entry boxes and use "App::PropertyFloat" instead.
Gotcha' - good point.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

I updated the bug.
Just for my clarification, do you have the global unit options in FC set to metric or are those also in imperial?
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

mlampert wrote:I updated the bug.
Just for my clarification, do you have the global unit options in FC set to metric or are those also in imperial?
I have set my global prefs to imperial.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

Interesting, sounds like a bug in InputField. Maybe an oversight of not handling speed according to the global unit and just assuming the default.
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

I can eradicate all instances of "App::PropertySpeed" if no one objects :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

danielfalck wrote:I can eradicate all instances of "App::PropertySpeed" if no one objects :)
I don't understand the consequences, so how could I object? If it is without units I don't see any problem. If it uses units, can we assure they are conforming to the settings in the post processor? Or is it the other way round: the post processor has to be configured so that it matches the units used in the path?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

chrisb wrote:
danielfalck wrote:I can eradicate all instances of "App::PropertySpeed" if no one objects :)
I don't understand the consequences, so how could I object? If it is without units I don't see any problem. If it uses units, can we assure they are conforming to the settings in the post processor? Or is it the other way round: the post processor has to be configured so that it matches the units used in the path?
The only indicator that there are units involved is in the property panel that has 'mm/s' attached to the entry box for the feed rate. I found that I was having to multiply my desired feed rates by 25.4 to get them to come out to the proper output with my centroid post processor. I had created a function to filter/convert feed units in that post.