Madeleine de Course Stellaire No16

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Brutha

Re: Madeleine de Course Stellaire No16

Post by Brutha »

It looks really interesting! Can I ask how you are creating the surfaces? Is it new functionality, scripts or existing functionality that's been in Freecad all along and I haven't noticed?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

@Brutha

emills2, as another participant of this discussion (Chris_G), has created his own workbench of surface tools. I can't find the link to it at the moment...
emills2

Post by emills2 »

short answer:
Scripts

http://edwardvmills.github.io/NURBSlib_EVM/

in a little bit finer detail:
Brutha wrote:existing functionality that's been in Freecad all along and I haven't noticed?
all the objects that result from these scripts are
Part.BSplineCurve() and Part.BSplineSurface()

the scripts use
increaseDegree()
insertKnot()
setPole()
segment()
and a few other functions built in to FreeCAD.

The whole issue with NURBS is having some kind of strategy to prepare the tables of poles and weights.

Over a year ago, i spent a fair bit of effort writing up a basic how-to, but i'm not aware of anyone actually trying to use it (until 10 months later), so i didn't update it. (i fight hard to find a few hours a week to spend on this project)

I do have a theoretical guide on the github above:
The next image shows the current required steps:
-create and position sketches using FreeCAD (white lines)
-convert the sketches to polygons (blues lines)
-convert the polygons to curves (black lines), or combine the polygons into grids (light blues lines)
-convert the grids to surfaces
-trim/clip sections of curves / surfaces (several steps needed here)
-blend the sections

So, if someone has the stomach for that workflow, and is pretty serious about giving it a shot, i can write it up. Things are moving fast though, and i don't hesitate to change existing objects...breaking exisitng models :D usually it's not that bad really, it's not hard to rebuild from the underlying sketches. That's the whole design strategy: control everything through sketches.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I wanted to try it out on multiple occasions in the past. But as i didn't do much surface related things in FreeCAD in the past it didn't happen yet.

But things changed lately and i will try it out ASAP.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I started with git clone and first thought i had was i am cloning something else due to the size. After the operation completed no buttons or anything. A collection of images, FCStd files and macros was there instead. Nothing wrong with that but it will take me substantial amount of time to get over everything.

P.S. But i will do it (can set ETA yet) as you must have put a lot of hard work into this and it deserves a proper test.
emills2

Post by emills2 »

Oops! All you need is the following folders:
-NURBSlib_EVM_python
-icons

The rest is all test models and pictures. I use github basically as my own storage for every single thing on this project.

Set up a freecad macro for each .fcmacro file. Some have icons with matching names.
emills2

Post by emills2 »

From the last commit: a picture of my toolbar and macro setup.

https://github.com/edwardvmills/NURBSli ... -02-06.png
emills2

Post by emills2 »

triplus wrote:P.S. But i will do it (can set ETA yet) as you must have put a lot of hard work into this and it deserves a proper tes
Don't work too hard. Like i said before, it is NOT user friendly right now, because there were no users.

Since you want to give it a try, give me a few days to write up a basic howto :)
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

emills2 wrote:
triplus wrote:P.S. But i will do it (can set ETA yet) as you must have put a lot of hard work into this and it deserves a proper tes
Don't work too hard. Like i said before, it is NOT user friendly right now, because there were no users.

Since you want to give it a try, give me a few days to write up a basic howto :)
It is good enough to see the ideas behind and to honour your work.
Thank you vor Sharing this.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @emills2.

Thanks for the additional info. I like the fact you provided test files. I am thinking weekend should enable me to have enough free time and to do some tests. Don't worry too much if you can't write a tutorial until then as i will likely be able to figure it out by looking in the provided FCStd files.