New to mIlling and CAD/CAM please help..

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cnctruckeic

New to mIlling and CAD/CAM please help..

Post by cnctruckeic »

Ok.. I am in the process of CNC my Harbor Freight mill..X2. I will be running MACH3 ..
I have had some experience with 2d CAD and ACE . That said I found online the .igs drawing of the lower I want to mill. I would like to learn how to take this .igs and create the tool path and mill it.

I watchef some of the video that chase been suggested on tool path, but I get a ! Next to the pocket line. I am not sure why it does create the tool path.

Anybody game for taking thus drawing and seeing why.

CNC Gunsmithing

It is the ar15 lower under the .igs dropdown..
Last edited by r-frank on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected link ...
mlampert
Veteran

Re: New to mIlling and CAD/CAM please help..

Post by mlampert »

Could you post your FC file so we can have a look at what you tried?
drallod

Post by drallod »

Are you trying to mill one from scratch or finish an 80%? This is a big project from scratch! It's probably above Path Workbench capabilities at the moment. There's a lot of curvature.

It may be able to finish an 80%. I tried and got a few good looking paths.
cnctruckeic

Post by cnctruckeic »

This an 80%.. I got an .igs file from Cncgunsmith and used a tutorial from a link here. When I get to have it make a path I get an error message

POCKET: LIST INDEX OUT OF RANGE

I am trying to cut an AR15 and AR10 FCG pocket.. and the trigger hammer holes and safety.

Any help you guys c as n give would truly be appreciated.
If you have done one before... can you also tell me where you indicated too. I know the rear takedown pin for the X But the Y I am just not sure..

Thanks again
Yes I can post my file .. how do I do that on here?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Below the edit window click the tab "Attachments", click "Add file" and select the file.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
cnctruckeic

Post by cnctruckeic »

chrisb wrote:Below the edit window click the tab "Attachments", click "Add file" and select the file.
says file is too large...

The .igs file is at
http://www.cncguns.com/downloads.html

the pull down for the .igs files middle of the page.
The specific one Ar15 Lower Reciever.
if you load that file and look at the left view there is a pocket needs to be milled...

Trying to ge that G-Code made for my Mach3 harbor Freight CNC X2 Mill

Thanks
drallod

Post by drallod »

If you're having a lot of issues with the .igs file, another option is to use the .pdf blueprints and draw just the cuts you need with Part Design. The Path Workbench works fairly well with that.
cnctruckeic

Post by cnctruckeic »

drallod wrote:If you're having a lot of issues with the .igs file, another option is to use the .pdf blueprints and draw just the cuts you need with Part Design. The Path Workbench works fairly well with that.
OK so is parta design just a 3d CAD...

I have a 2d DWG Zi have drawn uo.. can I import that.. add the depth and then do the tool psth?