Arch Wall Cladding

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Arch Wall Cladding

Post by yorik »

Renato Rebelo wrote:The extrusion of the facebinder for me does not work, whatever value you insert nothing happens.
Can you share a file that shows the problem?
Renato Rebelo

Post by Renato Rebelo »

Here it goes
facebinder.fcstd
(11.26 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Renato
my native language is not English, please excuse me any incorrectness, I apologize for any inconvenience caused, thank you
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

thanks! I found the bug, it's fixed in git commit ae077f192
Renato Rebelo

Post by Renato Rebelo »

Already works.

good job
my native language is not English, please excuse me any incorrectness, I apologize for any inconvenience caused, thank you
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

paullee wrote:It is a pity I am on Fedora. Need to learn how to compile now! :D Thanks.
yorik wrote:The facebinder has an Extrusion property. But I added that only a month ago I think, so you need a fairly recent version of FreeCAD. Alternatively, explode the facebinder in separate faces with Draft Downgrade, then extrude the faces individually...
After testing the envelope function, I am turning to the idea of facebinder (without using the extrusion thickness) so that the created 'shell' would have less nos. of faces and it would be more efficient for rendering e.g in Blender.

I find facebinder (faces) also works with the part cutout, so that the faces wrap around window opening and behind the window glass could be cut away also.

My current problem is after forming the facebinder object, I have not found way to add other faces to the same facebinder. If there is a numbers of faces in different angles, the process is prone to error.

Any idea? Thanks.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Facebinders are editable in the task panel by double-clicking them in the tree. However there was a bug that prevented this panel from opening, that I just fixed in git commit 819b3e8e96
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

yorik wrote:Facebinders are editable in the task panel by double-clicking them in the tree. However there was a bug that prevented this panel from opening, that I just fixed in git commit 819b3e8e96
Thanks again!

I am using Fedora and found the way to use the development version by using the przemof / FreeCAD repository - so I had the facebinder extrusion feature since then.

It seems the windows version has the most latest build for download ( FreeCAD_0.17.10061_x86_dev_win.7z ?), while linux... there are:-
- FreeCAD-0.17.git201701202112.glibc2.17-x86_64.AppImage (20 Jan version?)
- Przemof has the 1:0.17_pre-10047 which is about '16 hours from now'

It seems I have to wait for a short while until a repo / development build is available or I could learn how to compile from source? ... Will keep checking :)
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

Hi there, I'm a bit curious how to get the total length of all planks used for cladding? Or the total length of a certain plank cross section dimension used in a complete house/project?
In my world a plank is a single physical object, so how will that be solved in FC? I mean, one can visualize several planks as a board cut in several pieces, but will it count as several planks?
How to calculate the amount of scrap?

By the way, is there a term for that plank total length?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Pauvres_honteux wrote:Hi there, I'm a bit curious how to get the total length of all planks used for cladding?
In fact, a door or window schedule would usually be deliverables in the construction industry. I am not sure if FreeCad is able to do that currently.

I have a test on the Arch Schedule following FreeCad documentationand it seems there may be some bugs:-
(https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.p ... h_Schedule)
- The query seem exported to CVS format file correctly (See test in gedit in screenshot)
- But the schedule result is not shown in FreeCad itself (See FreeCad on same screenshot)
Screenshot from 2017-02-11 16-08-07.png
Screenshot from 2017-02-11 16-08-07.png (173.86 KiB) Viewed 2427 times

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.9232 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 411e30bffd82f4a8944e35a68a7f11ae71165d01
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

FreeCad Documentation:-

" ...If any of the objects in this list is a group, its children will be selected as well. So the easiest way to use this feature is to group your objects meaningfully in the document, and just give a group name here. You can also use the Selection button to add objects currently selected in the document..."

In my test, it doesn't seem to traverse Array or Mirror object :?: