Part-o-magic [New: Selection tools, container duplication]

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: Part-o-magic (again)

Post by easyw-fc »

ickby wrote: Same argument, to my knowledge step assembly structures do not need any booleans between local coordinate systems.
But when you have assembled parts together you may want to produce them or may be make a 3D print of the all assembly... then the need to have at least a simple copy available, so to be able to make a union of parts, export and print it in 3D

This is what is done in assembly2 as Mux...
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

easyw-fc wrote:or then PoM would be better?
PoM is a good place for almost everything, as it is an experiment, or a search for a good interface to integrate into FreeCAD.

I also tried out python nested packages for Part-o-magic, works well so far except for command grouping in toolbar customization dialog.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Note that:

Code: Select all

App.Version()[2]
Produces:

'10134 +1 (Git)'
And therefore part-o-magic will fail to start. I don't know why and from where that +1 was added.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

triplus wrote:

'10134 +1 (Git)'
And therefore part-o-magic will fail to start. I don't know why and from where that +1 was added.
https://github.com/DeepSOIC/Part-o-magi ... a9256688e2
Thanks for reporting.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

DeepSOIC wrote:
easyw-fc wrote:...
3) make a simple copy of the App:Part structure as in Part WB
3) definitely
Hi @DeepSOIC do you think it would be possible to add the Simple Copy option in PoM?
That will help me a lot in testing some new features...
Thx
Maurice
shaise

Post by shaise »

Hi,
I'd like to understand what Part-O-Magic does. I created a new module container, then added a cube from Part WB. I thought this will make the cube PartDesign compatible, however when I switch to Part Design and try to attach a sketch to one of the cube faces, I get an error. Does it suppose to work?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10150 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 978978f7dd1814083d7b9c9fc4267dba25f58a80
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0

shai
Attachments
test-part-o-magic.FCStd
(5.81 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

shaise wrote:I thought this will make the cube PartDesign compatible
Not at all, cube in a module is no more partdesign-compatible than just a cube.
Module is like PartDesign Body, but for everything apart from PartDesign (actually, you can even put a PartDesign Body into a Module). It is to group up a set of features used for creating a solid (or not, Module is not restricted to solids), and present the final shape to the outside world.

You can still make a sketch on a face of a Cube, be it in Module or not. You just need to make a new sketch from a Sketcher workbench, not from PartDesign workbench.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

How about if Tip would have a Compound property. Once enabled Tip would basically become Part -> Make compound feature (making a compound out of individual features inside Module/Body)?

I am guessing user could use all sorts of tools already mentioned earlier (and a few others) directly on such Module/Body after?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

triplus wrote:How about if Tip would have a Compound property. Once enabled Tip would basically become Part -> Make compound feature (making a compound out of individual features inside Module/Body)? I am guessing user could use all sorts of tools already mentioned earlier (and a few others) directly on such Module/Body after?
I'm making a special independent container for that. Do you think I should merge them all into one mighty container? (the benefit of doing that is ability to switch container type after it's been made and populated).
shaise

Post by shaise »

DeepSOIC wrote:Not at all, cube in a module is no more partdesign-compatible than just a cube.
Got it.
Then what is the meaning of a Cube inside a Body? (create a cube in Part WB, select it, then press the Body button from PartDesign) I still cant put sketches directly on it, but it can have pockets now.

shai