Tutorials for Part Design Beginners

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Tutorials for Part Design Beginners

Post by NormandC »

Hey Mark,

Cool! I'll have a look at it later, but I suggest you use the TutorialInfo template I created and used on my still unfinished Simple Box Cover tutorial.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

normandc wrote:Hey Mark,

Cool! I'll have a look at it later, but I suggest you use the TutorialInfo template I created and used on my still unfinished Simple Box Cover tutorial.
Yea, I was looking for that, not your tut, but what it was that moved the index and stuff to the side. Thanks! Next look, let me know if I got that template right.

Mark

Edit - I just went back and used the template on my other tutorial, Drawing Template HowTo, so at least my two tut's are conforming to the new standard. :geek:
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
tahrenholz

Post by tahrenholz »

Mark,

I'm checking out freeCAD and I just went through the tutorial you mention here. I found it very helpful and got almost all the way through without issue.

I ran into trouble on the last step, creating a pocket. After sketching the rectangle, I click the pocket tool and get the message "please create a sketch or 2D object first. It must have a support face on a solid." Can you help me understand what's going on here?

Tim
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

tahrenholz wrote: Can you help me understand what's going on here?
Hello Tim.

Welcome to FreeCAD and the forum.
Which version of FreeCAD are you using ? On which Operating System ?
Read here how to obtain and provide this info.

I am asking because your description sounds like you are running 0.16.6704 which had several bugs and one of them was
a behaviour like you describe. In that case I would recommend de-installing , and downloading and installing of 0.16.6706.

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
tahrenholz

Post by tahrenholz »

Roland,

Just installed today. So 16.6706 on Windows 10 64 bit. I started a new project and had the same problem trying to pad a simple figure. But after closing FreeCAD and starting again I no longer have a problem!
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

FYI

I created the part in 0.16.6706 (including draft dimensions), uploaded it to the github-FreeCAD-Examples-Repo
and added a download-link in the tutorial if someone gets stuck and wants to have a look at the completed file ...
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
surferdudemi

Post by surferdudemi »

Hi,

As it happens, I just tried walking through this tutorial last night. I found it better than the previous one (Sketch tutorial) up to where I hit a problem. After beating me up a little for my impertinence, a couple of people noted that I had used construction lines instead of drawing lines. After thinking about this and the fact that the error messages are meaningless to noobs like me, for the most part, and even searching the forum isn't a great option (I ended up on one referring to a circular reference, not the problem at hand), I'm wondering if it would be helpful to have something like a FAQ at the end of a tutorial to list some of the common problems that people experience.

I believe what I did was click on the icon to the right of the one I intended, causing this problem. That might be something that others do too, either at that step or other steps using the same button(s). Dunno, does that sound like something useful? I realize you can never anticipate all the different ways that things can go wrong, but there are some that happen more often than others.

Thanks for your tutorial
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

surferdudemi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:03 am I'm wondering if it would be helpful to have something like a FAQ at the end of a tutorial to list some of the common problems that people experience.
+1
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.