freecad-daily, error : File format not supported: 0.17

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Mika38

freecad-daily, error : File format not supported: 0.17

Post by Mika38 »

Hello everyone,

I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, x64.
I've got some difficulty to launch the daily build to test the last function. I followed the instruction from the wiki execute all those command.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
freecad
I have the ppa listed in the setting of the launch pad.

Here is the result of the last call:
damien@damien-ThinkPad-L530:~$ freecad
FreeCAD 0.16, Libs: 0.16R6707 (Git)
© Juergen Riegel, Werner Mayer, Yorik van Havre 2001-2015
So it the version 0.16 not the 0.17. I checked, it have only the functions of the last stable version.

Also, If I search freecad in the Launch pad, I found only the version 0.17. Which seems good. (I removed 0.16 to be sure)
And if I try to start it with the launch pad, nothing happen except an error message in the console. I've got this error :
File format not supported: 0.17
Any advice ?

Thanks in advance,

Mika
;) Le chemin est long, mais la voie est libre :D The journey is long but the way is free 8-)
Chris_G
Veteran

Re: freecad-daily, error : File format not supported: 0.17

Post by Chris_G »

Hi,
Try "frecad-daily" command instead
Mika38

Post by Mika38 »

Chris_G wrote:Hi,
Try "frecad-daily" command instead
if I write frecad-daily or freecad-daily I've got back : FreeCAD-daily : commande introuvable (command not found in french)

I found the problem you need to restart your computer before launching the V0.17 with the launcher.

I still have no idea how to launch the v0.17 with the consol.

have a good day/night
;) Le chemin est long, mais la voie est libre :D The journey is long but the way is free 8-)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

There seems to be something strange with your path. Could you please add your complete FreeCAD info as indicated here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264 and post the result of the command

Code: Select all

echo $PATH
here.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Chris_G
Veteran

Post by Chris_G »

Oops, my answer had a typo, i meant freecad-daily, of course.
What is displayed if you begin typing "free" in the console and hit TAB twice ?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

We changed the freecad-daily PPA package name to freecad-daily so it could be installed at the same time as the freecad-stable PPA.

So to install the 0.17 development version, it is not enough to add the PPA, you need to install the new freecad-daily package, either from your software manager or from the terminal with

sudo apt-get install freecad-daily
Then to launch it from the terminal, you type the name of the package.

freecad-daily
Mika38 wrote: if I write frecad-daily or freecad-daily I've got back : FreeCAD-daily : commande introuvable (command not found in french)
Because you didn't install it.
Mika38

Post by Mika38 »

chrisb wrote:There seems to be something strange with your path. Could you please add your complete FreeCAD info as indicated here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264 and post the result of the command

echo $PATH
here.
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.7744 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: occt7
Hash: fee4ade78217a581a6ea17011e39364e5ff7732f
Python version: 2.7.11+
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0
Mika38

Post by Mika38 »

NormandC wrote:We changed the freecad-daily PPA package name to freecad-daily so it could be installed at the same time as the freecad-stable PPA.

So to install the 0.17 development version, it is not enough to add the PPA, you need to install the new freecad-daily package, either from your software manager or from the terminal with

freecad-daily
Mika38 wrote: if I write frecad-daily or freecad-daily I've got back : FreeCAD-daily : commande introuvable (command not found in french)
Because you didn't install it.
I did the installation your way. It works ! The interface look much better now. I was may be installing some kind of mixed version :mrgreen: , Thank you very much.

new freecad info:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10276 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 10191e90861cf0c87d24c1980761fd1c7f3cdde4
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Mika38

Post by Mika38 »

Dear All,

I would like to thank you for your support. You solved my problem. Let's try to solve this problem once and for all, this way no one will be in my situation again. There is a trap somewhere. :D Let's investigate!

I tracked down what I did wrong, and my conclusion is:

The lack of information in the tutorial make me fail the installation.

Link : http://freecadweb.org/wiki/Installing especially the ubuntu install on this page:
http://freecadweb.org/wiki/Install_on_Unix

In this tutorial, there is a mix of information which is confusing. There is no explanation of what a PPA is. Also, the daily and the stable install are mixed together. I think those command lines should be part of the tutorial:
NormandC wrote:

freecad-daily
In conclusion, it could be nice to have two separates pages (or two sections in one page): One for the stable version and one of the daily version. For each one, I think the best way would be a chronological order of command lines. It would not be enough, we need to teach the newby why they should used those command line and what is there purpose. Like the information why the PPA daily have an other name.

I'm sorry I don't know how to change the tutorial (yet), but I would be glad to write it, if you gave me a link to a resource where I can learn how to change the documentation.

Best regards,

Mika
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Mika is right, it is a bit tricky to find the right information, although it is all there. To me it seems sensible to have two pages, one for the stable versions, and one for the developer versions. No mixing, no fuss.
I don't think we should explain what a ppa is, half a sentence might be ok. It is clear which commands to enter, the interested user should know how to find more information and we are not responsible for broken links in case we give a link to a ubuntu site.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.