Updated Std_DependencyGraph page

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Updated Std_DependencyGraph page

Post by NormandC »

I have stopped counting the number of times I linked to the Std_DependencyGraph page and reflected that it ought to be completed.

So tonight (or rather this early morning :roll: ) I decided that enough was enough. :D

Since English is not my native language, I'd appreciate if one of you checked my work and report any odd phrasing.

Also, we will need to update the screenshot, it's fine but for the fact that the "Project" tab was renamed "Model" quite a while ago.

@ renatorivo I tried to not mess up the existing translation units. :?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: Updated Std_DependencyGraph page

Post by kkremitzki »

Looks great! I proofread it and didn't find anything really needing changed. Adding Windows/Mac/Linux to the table of contents (and thus the sidebar) helps a lot.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks Kurt!

This forum is not the proper place to discuss it, but since we're always recommending this tool's use over the Help forum, and in view of the Installation section ( :? ) I'm wondering again why we don't bundle graphviz on Mac and Windows. Would graphviz's custom license (as if there weren't enough FOSS licenses :roll: ) be an issue? According to Wikipedia it's not compatible with GPL, but no word about LGPL.

On Linux it's so much easier, just a matter of installing the package from the repo (at least for major distros), on the Ubuntu PPA we can also make it a dependency (if it isn't already).
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

Thanks for the update.
NormandC wrote:@ renatorivo I tried to not mess up the existing translation units. :?
Do not worry too much about this thing.

Renato
blacey

Post by blacey »

NormandC wrote:I'm wondering again why we don't bundle graphviz on Mac and Windows. Would graphviz's custom license (as if there weren't enough FOSS licenses :roll: ) be an issue? According to Wikipedia it's not compatible with GPL, but no word about LGPL.

On Linux it's so much easier, just a matter of installing the package from the repo (at least for major distros), on the Ubuntu PPA we can also make it a dependency (if it isn't already).
The wiki page looks great. That said, Licensing aside, on macOS it wouldn't be too difficult to do the following:

1) Add graphviz as a dependency to the FreeCAD/freecad formula (easy - would satisfy the needs of developers or users who install with the formula)
2) Add graphviz to the FreeCAD.app bundle (a little more work - would need to ensure the path is set properly)

I will go ahead and do #1 but if #2 has merit, someone should open a Mantis issue and I will look into it in further detail when I have some time.
blacey

Post by blacey »

blacey wrote: 1) Add graphviz as a dependency to the FreeCAD/freecad formula (easy - would satisfy the needs of developers or users who install with the formula)
2) Add graphviz to the FreeCAD.app bundle (a little more work - would need to ensure the path is set properly)
After discussing with Ian, I have filed issues for #1 and #2 for macOS. We'll shoot for the 0.17 release.

I guess this begs the question if we should consider others like Calculix?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Calculix is only required for FEM, while graphviz is used by a general purpose tool...

I've mentioned it elsewhere in the past (this topic may be getting out of hand but I guess I'm the one to blame :D ) but at some point (soon) I think we'll have to allow the user to install which modules he wants. FreeCAD is really getting bloated, and some stuff will never get used by most of the users. FEM is one such example.

On Windows, an installer can give you the choice of which components to install.

On OS X, I have no idea if it's possible.

In Ubuntu and other Linux distros, freecad can be broken down into multiple packages like we're doing with occ. The only thing that stopped me so far is cross-platform homogeneity. But I may very well go and do it and present you guys with a fait accompli. ;)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote: On Windows, an installer can give you the choice of which components to install.
This is true. Complying to the license, ie access to the source code is hard to maintain. I would suggest an option in the addons-installer. Easy to say hard to do.
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Looks like another usecase for a pre-requisite checker. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-addons/issues/29
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs