Path tutorial

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Path tutorial

Post by sliptonic »

chrisb wrote: So I wouldn't care much about the 0.16 wiki and go straight to the 0.17. I had offered to contribute to a 0.17 documentation but sliptonic stopped me doing possibly useless work because things change too fast. So we might wait a little bit longer and meanwhile point newcomers to dedicated forum threads.
Some fairly big workflow things might still change but I think we have enough of a handle that we could start documenting the rest. Let's talk about a documentation plan.
drei

Post by drei »

sliptonic wrote:Some fairly big workflow things might still change but I think we have enough of a handle that we could start documenting the rest. Let's talk about a documentation plan.
Great!
I'd suggest following the format that is already established with the other workbenches: a wiki page to introduce the module + wiki pages for each tool + tutorial.

We could start by copying an existing workbench page and edit it to fit our needs.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

I think that format is fine and focusing on individual tools first is good rather than overall workflow. The basic concepts of jobs, operations, dressups, postprocessors, tools are stable and unlikely to change. Some of the workflow to create them and the associated task panels might change a lot.

Contour, Mill-Planing, Engraving, and the profiling ops are relatively stable. Upcoming changes are minor.
Dressups are similarly unchanged.

Drilling is likely to change a bit.
Tool library, tools and tool controllers are about to get a cleanup.

Postprocessing isn't changing nor are incidental tools like loop select and inspect.

I'll be happy to help with documentation as I can.
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

drei wrote:I'd suggest following the format that is already established with the other workbenches: a wiki page to introduce the module + wiki pages for each tool + tutorial.We could start by copying an existing workbench page and edit it to fit our needs.
Hi.

But that already exists ... :?

Looking at the workbench section of the user hub-page
by clicking on "path workbench" this page shows up ...

Of course, that page can be improved ...

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
drei

Post by drei »

r-frank wrote: But that already exists ... :?
I'm stupid. Forgot to check the current situation in the rest of the wiki.
sliptonic wrote:The basic concepts of jobs, operations, dressups, postprocessors, tools are stable and unlikely to change.
Glad to hear that, I'll check the current situation of the pages and start writing changes next week (hopefully I'll have the weekend free).
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I would volunteer to work on the wiki.
  • I need permissions to do so (I asked already for it)
  • I need at least one native english speaker to proof read
  • I would keep the documentation similar to this https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19642 forum thread. Is this ok or should it be somewhat more abstract, i.e. not so closely related to certain objects?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drei

Post by drei »

chrisb wrote:I need permissions to do so (I asked already for it)
I'd love to give the permissions, but I'm not part f the admin group. Hopefully your request will be approved soon.
chrisb wrote:I need at least one native english speaker to proof read
Let me know when you need feedback.
chrisb wrote:I would keep the documentation similar to this https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19642 forum thread. Is this ok or should it be somewhat more abstract, i.e. not so closely related to certain objects?
This is actually very good and fits the style of the other workbenches. We usually have a dedicated wiki page for each tool and add as much detail as possible in it.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have the permissions so I can start. I am trying to find the icons, there seem to be more icons used than ever uploaded :? . I started a discussion in the wiki section of the forum: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=21250.
---------

Since I don't think it is sensible to use the Path workbench in 0.16 I would recommend as workflow for 0.16 users:

- Create and edit the model in 0.16
- Reopen it in 0.17 and do all the Path related stuff

I didn't have any stability issues concerning Path functionality in 0.17 - probably because much of Path WB is written in python - so I can recommend this with peace of conscience.

Then I can change the docs to contain all the new 0.17 stuff. (To me it seems ages that I have created a Path Project!)
Last edited by chrisb on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

chrisb wrote:- Create and edit the model in 0.16
- Reopen it in 0.17 and do all the Path related stuff
I have looked very closely to the screenshots user "herbk" is posting in the german sub-forum.
He seems to model his objects in 0.16 and then inserting a simple copy in 0.17.
So he can use correct placement needed for his cnc-environment ...
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)