FreeCAD on the web

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mouse

Re: FreeCAD on the web

Post by mouse »

NormandC wrote:Interesting find, fandaL!

It's mostly positive which is good, but one thing made my eyebrow twitch:
If I have to lodge a complaint at all it’s that there is no layering system included; all display options seem to be controlled by object. Anyone who’s ever worked in the CAD field is going to find that frustrating
By "CAD field" he obviously meant "AutoCAD", because that's the CAD system that uses layers (as well as others that copy it).

For the past 10 years I've used parametric CAD at work and the software only provides layers in the drawing environment - and I hardly ever use this functionality.
I am very much a newcomer to this field, and am looking at FreeCad for architectural purposes. Specifically for use in renovating my own home.

My feel from very limited knowledge would be that layers are useful in architecture to allow you to separately view the different services that a building offers. For example you might want to look at structure plus plumbing, or structure plus electrics.

Possibly naively, a layer seems a fairly simple thing - a selection or multiple selection according to given criteria. Contrary to the commenters view I do not see why the criteria should not be say data held against the object. However I guess implementation would get complicated if you made the selections editable. Logical homomorphs might be database reports (non-editable) and views (often editable).

Kind regards

Mouse
regis

Post by regis »

triplus wrote:
microelly2 wrote:What kind of video this should be? Do you think about something like the demo reels of blender? Is there an idea of a screenplay or a storyboard?
It should be official and made by engaging community. Everything else comes down to sensible opinion management. But it should be started months before FreeCAD 0.17 will be released. Likely it shouldn't be too long and to detailed. It's about having some official promotional material by the time when FreeCAD 0.17 is out. And after it is about using that material for promotion.

Without such material it's harder for FreeCAD to gain presence on the web when new version is made. And we talked about how some developers have their blogs and that there actually is some FreeCAD related content generated on the web. But without having something like planet for FreeCAD this is scattered around the web and likely small margin of potential users actually see the work done. We can't actually expect news related sites to search the web to find some FreeCAD related content can we? Typing in http://planet.freecadweb.org/ should suffice.
Is there a specific forum where this topic is discussed? ( " it should be official and made by engaging community " ) youtube channel
I am currently working on making an a dedicated youtube channel.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

regis wrote:Is there a specific forum where this topic is discussed? ( " it should be official and made by engaging community " ) youtube channel
I am currently working on making an a dedicated youtube channel.
Hi @regis.

Somebody has to create an actual FreeCAD 0.17 release video in a way it would be perceived and accepted as an official FreeCAD 0.17 release video. If that would be done we can think after on where and how to use it. On how to achieve something like that. The video. It was never done before in such way. Therefore whoever goes after this will need to think about the details and take the lead to dictate the changes through and make it happen.
regis

Post by regis »

did any one know about Rollapp running freecad on the web?
I was also able to open it in my mobile phone chrome browser and drew those basic objects. but the screen display was to small. but it's interesting.

https://www.rollapp.com/?no_redirect
Attachments
Screenshot from 2017-03-12 20-10-30.png
Screenshot from 2017-03-12 20-10-30.png (99.81 KiB) Viewed 3151 times
Screenshot from 2017-03-12 20-09-13.png
Screenshot from 2017-03-12 20-09-13.png (175.32 KiB) Viewed 3151 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

FreeCAD makes the cover of this month's Full Circle Magazine, "the independent magazine for the Ubuntu Linux community".

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-120/

The introduction to FreeCAD is in page 29 of the PDF.

Hat tip to Jérémie Tarot who posted about it on the G+ community.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote:FreeCAD makes the cover of this month's Full Circle Magazine, "the independent magazine for the Ubuntu Linux community".
I had hoped the article was not based on the version packaged with the standard ubuntu distribution. And in fact it mentions the 0.16 and even 0.17. But alas, they finally recommend to stick to the packaged 0.15 "even if it is slightly older" :roll:

I wouldn't call more than 2000 commits "slightly older". (I would like to ask my boss if he could raise my monthly salary slightly).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote:But alas, they finally recommend to stick to the packaged 0.15 "even if it is slightly older" :roll:
Yep, it sure got an eye roll from me too!

I briefly checked if the author could be joined directly but it doesn't appear so.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

I found this on opensource.com today, it is an old article from last year about opensource alternatives autocad, it mentions FreeCAD. It states that FreeCAD is written in Python.

https://opensource.com/alternatives/autocad

Do any of you already have a login at opensource.com? If so would you mind posting a note that FreeCAD is written in C++ and Python and not only Python?
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

I sent an email to fix it.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

PrzemoF wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:28 pm I sent an email to fix it.
Thanks, saved me having to create yet another login for something that I would likely never need again.