Sheet Metal Workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shaise

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by shaise »

efyx wrote:Few links to inspire:
Frecad's sheetmetal has only basic functionality. Solidworks examples shown in the videos involves complex algorithms and not only programming skills. Therefore these features are not easy to implement.

shai
shaise

Post by shaise »

Hi Ulrich,

1. I was notified of a problem in the sheet metal unfolder. It seems that with short bend, the unfolder gives an error. The same model with a bend that a little longer, works correctly. see attached
2. I was asked to make the unbend factor a user parameter. Can I just change it to be a parameter in the macro, or is it more complex?

Thanks!
shai
Attachments
test_working.FCStd
(11.61 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
test_not_working.FCStd
(11.62 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Marco_T

Post by Marco_T »

shaise wrote: 2. I was asked to make the unbend factor a user parameter. Can I just change it to be a parameter in the macro, or is it more complex?
Hi shaise & Ulrich, thanks very much for this workbench, I use it very often with good results.
About point 2 I think could be a good idea have two unfolder choices:
- DIN 6935 (as standard, if you don't know how works bending machine)
- K factor for each bend (if you know how works bending machine).
My opinion...eh.

--
Marco_T
Tandini

Post by Tandini »

Hi,
I join Macro_T :-) :
Hi shaise & Ulrich, thanks very much for this workbench, I use it very often with good results.
But since release 0.17 somewhere around 10000 I noticed that unfolding doesn't work anymore.
I deleted and reinstalled FreeCAD 0.17
Test.png
Test.png (19.11 KiB) Viewed 4252 times
Tried it of course with different pads...
I get this:

Code: Select all

Running the Python command 'SMUnfold' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Tandini\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\sheetmetal\SheetMetalUnfolder.py", line 1568, in Activated
    s = PerformUnfold()
  File "C:\Users\Tandini\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\sheetmetal\SheetMetalUnfolder.py", line 1494, in PerformUnfold
    theFaceList = TheTree.unfold_tree2(TheTree.root) # traverses the tree-structure
  File "C:\Users\Tandini\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\sheetmetal\SheetMetalUnfolder.py", line 1433, in unfold_tree2
    theShell = theShell + self.unfold_tree2(n_node)
  File "C:\Users\Tandini\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\sheetmetal\SheetMetalUnfolder.py", line 1440, in unfold_tree2
    nodeShell = self.generateBendShell(node)
  File "C:\Users\Tandini\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\sheetmetal\SheetMetalUnfolder.py", line 1321, in generateBendShell
    flat_shell.append(self.MakeFace(o_wire.Edges[i], b_wire.Edges[i]))
  File "C:\Users\Tandini\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\sheetmetal\SheetMetalUnfolder.py", line 1331, in MakeFace
    w = Part.Wire([e1,e3,e2,e4])

BRep_API: command not done
With 0.16 all works fine ...

Any idea :? :?:

System info:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: dde52952f4de7ae8ec92a6afe90f013e292921f0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Tandini

Post by Tandini »

Thanks for the hint. Now - as end-user - one has to be patient ... :oops: (ironically)
shaise

Post by shaise »

Migration to V0.17 completed.
But you will have to test it with the latest FreeCAD V0.17 build. (built after today)
For the unfold issue it should work with existing v0.17, though.

shai
Statik

Post by Statik »

Hi all,
I am using the Sheetmetal plugin, just downloaded this week, with freecad 0.16. In building my object, which is rather complex, I'm having difficulty as I need to extrude faces 90 degrees to a fold and then fold again. The second fold occurs in two parts, one for the original fold and one for the extrusion. How can I merge the two pieces into a solid piece?

I've attached the freecad file I was working on.

Statik
Attachments
Handle_3.fcstd
(108.79 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
shaise

Post by shaise »

Statik,

I'm not sure what are you trying to do. I opened the file and it looks ok. Can you attach an image with notes/arrows explaining your problem?

shai
Statik

Post by Statik »

The basic shape is presently in the shape of an inverted U. Both sides of the U are in two pieces. The first created by the bend, the second by a sheet metal extrusion. If you select both parts of one side the bottom of the U, where the angled piece is now on the right, and hit bend, you will have two bends, in opposite directions, rather than a single bend. Even if they bend the same direction, they are two bends, not one. You can see the basics of this just by hovering over the face of a side. It is in two faces, not one.
I'll make the next step and post the file after I write a midterm, in a couple minutes.
Statik