FEM video for beginner

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

makkemal

Re: FEM video for beginner

Post by makkemal »

After a number of attempts I finally redid this video
https://youtu.be/UXjsTeMwr0Q
Last edited by makkemal on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

makkemal wrote:After a number of attempts I fianlle redid this video
https://youtu.be/UXjsTeMwr0Q
Excellent video! I might be TAing a Machine Design course in the fall and this video is going in my list of evidence to convince the professor to let me write the course labs for FreeCAD... (with 0.17 hopefully ready by then, hah :D )
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

santacruz

Post by santacruz »

Hi makkemal,
I'm trying to perform fem analysis by using freecad and calculix on a mac.
I watched your tutorial and it was very useful to me but I would like to ask you some questions.
1) Your fem preference panel is quite different from mine could it be due to the version of freecad running on mac? (The stable version for mac is 0.16).
2) In your fem preference panel there is a z88 sheet, is it possible to run z88 solver using freecad as a pre/post-processor?
3) There is some tutorial about how to perform frame analysis?

P.S. I'm sorry for my broken English... I'm studying it at the same time with freecad!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

]1) Your fem preference panel is quite different from mine could it be due to the version of freecad running on mac? (The stable version for mac is 0.16).
If you work with FreeCAD FEM it is highly recommended to use latest FreeCAD 0.17.x development version ! There have been tons of fixes and improvements in 0.17 in FEM.
2) In your fem preference panel there is a z88 sheet, is it possible to run z88 solver using freecad as a pre/post-processor?
yes, but not all constraints are supported ATM. Just give it a try.
makkemal

Post by makkemal »

Thanks for the reply bernd,
Video seem to be gaining momentum 557 views in a week :D
santacruz

Post by santacruz »

bernd wrote:
]1) Your fem preference panel is quite different from mine could it be due to the version of freecad running on mac? (The stable version for mac is 0.16).
If you work with FreeCAD FEM it is highly recommended to use latest FreeCAD 0.17.x development version ! There have been tons of fixes and improvements in 0.17 in FEM.
yes, but not all constraints are supported ATM. Just give it a try.
1) This means that I have to compile Freecad from source code right?

2) I have already installed z88 on my Mac, how can I run it through Freecad?

Edit. I searched freecad website and found a compiled 0.17 version of freecad. Now I'm downloading QT5 version, is it right?
makkemal

Post by makkemal »

@santacruz
What os are you using ?
santacruz

Post by santacruz »

OSx 10.12. Sierra
Qt4 seems to work better. Using Qt5 I have some mouse issue and the pipeline does not work.

Edit. Seems that gmsh does not work properly. If I try to mesh an object I do not obtain any result although the gmsh say the process is done.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

santacruz wrote:2) I have already installed z88 on my Mac, how can I run it through Freecad?
install latest FreeCAD 0.17. Best is to make sure FreeCAD FEM runs wirh CalculiX. go to preferences FEM Z88 and set the path to the z88r binary. Add an z88 solverobject to the analysis, select this object and run the analysis.
ahh, and report back, since you seam to be the first one who uses z88 and FreeCAD on OSX.
bernd