FEM video for beginner

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

santacruz

Re: FEM video for beginner

Post by santacruz »

I have two problems:
1) GMSH doesn't work. Or better. Following the procedure used in the video the solid doesn't get meshed. If I check the report I obtain what is showed on the attached picture. I don't know if this is due to the position of the GMSH binary. In preference I left the default settings with the attached picture (the second one). Netgen works fine.

2) I don't know how to add a z88 analysis.
Attachments
preference.png
preference.png (98.59 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
GMSH report.png
GMSH report.png (66.23 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

santacruz wrote:I have two problems:
1) GMSH doesn't work. Or better. Following the procedure used in the video the solid doesn't get meshed. If I check the report I obtain what is showed on the attached picture. I don't know if this is due to the position of the GMSH binary. In preference I left the default settings with the attached picture (the second one). Netgen works fine.
Since you are on OSX you really should set the path to the binary, best for all binaries, GMSH, ccx and z88r. For GMSH would you post the output of the report view which happens after you press the button apply in the mesh object.
santacruz wrote:2) I don't know how to add a z88 analysis.
- start FreeCAD
- go to start wb
- load the FEM 3D example
- activate the analysis
- Select the CalculiX solver object --> run the analysis --> does it work for you?
- Menu FEM --> Solver z88 --> a solver object z88 should be added to the analysis
- Selected the Z88 solver object --> run the analysis --> does it work for you?

If not post the output of the report view which is generated after you press the run button.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

added to videos to the FEM_Module page
santacruz

Post by santacruz »

I think that the problem is the path o the binaries, both for gmsh and z88.
I downloaded z88 from the website but i don't know which binary I should use since in the bin folder there are a lot of binaries. Using the general binary called z88aurora doesn't seem to work. When I launch the analysis in Freecad using that binary something happen but no results are loaded.

About GMSH, I have a similar problem. I don't know which is the correct binary to set in the path.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

makkemal wrote:After a number of attempts I finally redid this video
https://youtu.be/UXjsTeMwr0Q
Thanks again,
BR,
HoWil
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

santacruz wrote:I think that the problem is the path o the binaries, both for gmsh and z88.
I downloaded z88 from the website but i don't know which binary I should use since in the bin folder there are a lot of binaries.
for z88 you could try this binary : https://github.com/LSCAD/Z88OS/blob/master/bin/mac/z88r
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

santacruz wrote:I think that the problem is the path o the binaries, both for gmsh and z88.
About GMSH, I have a similar problem. I don't know which is the correct binary to set in the path.
Fr gmsh I would try this binary: http://gmsh.info/bin/MacOSX/gmsh-2.16.0-MacOSX.dmg
santacruz

Post by santacruz »

Well, I'm installing GMSH by homebrew and then I'll add the path to the fem preference.

In order to try to use z88 I'm downloading it again and I'm going to see if there is a way to set the right binary.
santacruz

Post by santacruz »

I installed gmsh via homebrew and now I have one error which is referred to the "open cascade", so i tried to reinstall gmsh via homebrew adding open cascade but still doesn't seem to work.

Edit.
Gmsh now work. I installed using "brew install gmsh --with-opencascade" and it had worked.
santacruz

Post by santacruz »

Last update.
I couldn't made z88 solver work, probably this is due to how z88 is built. In fact, z88 has many binaries each one of them responsible for a specific analysis and also linked together.