Interface enhancement wishlist - usability hints

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

HoWil
Veteran

Interface enhancement wishlist - usability hints

Post by HoWil »

Hello,
Recently I did a frequency study in FC and discussed the results with colleagues. Regarding the usability is it a bit obstructive when one wants to compare different mode shapes and one has to close the 'Tasks' panel and select another result for each and every result. Additionally, if you have opened the 'Show result' dialogue in the Tasks panel there is no information about the currently selected eigen-frequency or mode number displayed.

Is it possible to at least show the mode number and eigen-frequency in the task-view or in the 3D-view (better when printing/exporting the modeshape).
The ultimate goal would be to have a combo box inside the 'Show result' - Task panel where one easily can switch the underlying result-entry and view different results with the same setting (Result-type, Displacement,..).

What do you think? Are there others wanting to use the dialog in the same way?

BR,
HoWil
bernd
Veteran

Re: Interface enhancement wishlist - usability hints

Post by bernd »

good idea !

But PostProcessing is not on top of my ToDo list. There are a few other things in post processing and in meshing. I have not done any development in post processing so far, apart from fixing bugs.

Bernd
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Just played a bit ... By the use of View --> create new view could new views be added. In every view could be different view :) , but not different displacement view of the result :( .
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Hi Bernd,
I dont know exactly what you want to use the views for.
What I was looking for is something like:
Screenshot from 2017-03-13 09-11-44_mocup.png
Screenshot from 2017-03-13 09-11-44_mocup.png (214.56 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
Such an selection of results would also for 'usual' static results beneficial.
The text in the 3D -view is simply for exporting the pic with some information / documentation.
BR,
HoWil
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I know what would you like to archive. But the task panel depends on a result object. To archive what you would like to have (and what would be really helpful :) ) the object, the task panel depends on, has to be switched on combo box change. This needs some coding ...

I was thinking of a work around. Since FreeCAD supports multiple views (see screen) I thought it would may be possible to have a different result in each view, but this is not possible. it is probably even more difficult than your idea.
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (372.78 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

This only works on screen-resolutions such as yours :D and for number of modes <6.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

HoWil wrote:This only works on screen-resolutions such as yours :D and for number of modes <6.
:mrgreen: people often ask me if I really can read these little letters on my screen :mrgreen: