PartDesign Feature Request: multi face sketch extrudes

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: PartDesign Feature Request: multi face sketch extrudes

Post by triplus »

Maybe a more direct question:

Why face shouldn't be created in Body? What are the downsides? Or it just comes down to the fact nobody has added the feature yet and there are basically no other fundamental issues involved?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

This leads to a question, why can't one add anything from other workbenches to bodies. If you think about it a bit further, out comes the equivalent of Part-o-magic's Module container :mrgreen:
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

triplus wrote:Maybe a more direct question:

Why face shouldn't be created in Body? What are the downsides? Or it just comes down to the fact nobody has added the feature yet and there are basically no other fundamental issues involved?
+5 It would also make work easier for subdividing faces for FEM ... see e.g. https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... ts#p149467
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

DeepSOIC wrote:This leads to a question, why can't one add anything from other workbenches to bodies. If you think about it a bit further, out comes the equivalent of Part-o-magic's Module container :mrgreen:
Yes you are right. Would love to see support for "boolean fragments" from Part-wb in PDN-wb!

The question left for me is ... are there any barriers to include sketches/faces and boolean fragments or other wb-stuff step-by-step in PDN-wb!
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I see. Therefore i am guessing at some point in the future this feature likely could be added. As on how it will be added. Some possible scenarios are:
  • Add ability to use Draft Upgrade tool on Sketch or any 2D geometry that is located in PartDesign Body directly.
  • Add a new PartDesign feature to create faces from 2D geometry in PartDesign Body.
  • Create new workbench and reimplement features from PartDesign NEXT by lifting current limitations.
Some real challenges ahead i guess. But i am guessing they are still resolvable one way or another. ;)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

DeepSOIC wrote:This leads to a question, why can't one add anything from other workbenches to bodies. If you think about it a bit further, out comes the equivalent of Part-o-magic's Module container :mrgreen:
The idea here is to let the thing you're including in the container implement what the container needs using ickby's extensions, right? I have only started studying your Part-o-magic stuff.

P.S. Why the name Module? It is a very overloaded term already.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

kkremitzki wrote:P.S. Why the name Module? It is a very overloaded term already.
If you have better suggestion, throw one in here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=15869