Module Part Design Ergonomics

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Almisuifre

Module Part Design Ergonomics

Post by Almisuifre »

Hello,

I'm a big user of FreeCAD 0.16. Cool and simple. ;)

Here are some examples of pieces printed from FreeCAD: http://cyberposl.tuxfamily.org/ (FreeCAD 0.14, FreeCAD 0.15 and FreeCAD 0.16)

I tested version 0.17 in daily mode. It seems much more sophisticated for my pleasure. :oops:

Alas, I have some concerns to understand the new functionality of the Part Design module.

Point N °1: Before, we have a very simple and comprehensible pop-up. Now it's the same but you have to make a lot of clicks for the same thing.
I suggest going back to make the same selection from the popup which is still simpler to understand.

Point N °2: The first sketch is lost at the bottom of a body. I'm afraid I do not understand what it's all about. In addition, it could be stored so that it is accessible from the menu. Take the example of "placement".
I propose the use of identical operation with placement.

Point N °3: I tried to run the Part Design booleen module. Alas, nothing happens. Two objects can no longer be subtracted and the box allowing to manipulate the booleans remains empty. It is as if no selection was visible.
I do not have a proposal on this. To do with the other updates. https://github.com/Almisuifre/FreeCAD-Macro

Thank you very much for your attention and courage to the developing teams. 8-)
nemesis

Re: Module Part Design Ergonomics

Post by nemesis »

Hi,
As you may know 0.17 is not yet release, so sure, you will find bug ;)
for the workflow I suggest you to have a look here
Almisuifre wrote:Point N °1:
Which pop-up are you talking about? placement of the sketch?
for the first sketch you may select the plane you want.
after, all placement method allow you to do much more then what was possible in 0.16
Almisuifre wrote:Point N °2:The first sketch is lost at the bottom of a body.
Also I don't get your point, sketch are below the feature, as it was before...
Almisuifre wrote:Point N °3:
Boolean are performed betweenbodies, not feature.
you need to activate your first body,
select the last feature,
click on boolean operation,
add body
then the boolean operation is added in the first body just like another feature.

even if 0.17 can looks disappointing at the beginning, it's very powerful (but still in devloppement)
Personally, I still have 0.16 to open old files, but don't use it anymore.

once you gets the basics of 0.17 PDN , you can mix it with feature from part/draft or other workbench thanks to Part O magic
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Almisuifre,

Or should I say Salutations \0/ ? ;)

So you finally took the plunge from the #freecad channel to the forum. Welcome here! You will see that most of the expert users are here, not on IRC. ;)

You really should read the FC v0.17dev: Part Design Next Usecases and Best practices topic that is pinned at the top of the Help on using FreeCAD forum. It provides links to topics explaining why the PartDesign workbench had these changes in 0.17.
Almisuifre

Post by Almisuifre »

Ok, go to wait for the next build. :D

Booleans between objects do not work at home.

Greetings NormandC. Long ago I did not meet you here! It was with my old pseudo "Geeks" when I was doing the wheels of the rover. :oops:

I would come back a little later with pictures of the problems encountered. It will be more words than words.

In the meantime, I hope to see a good development and a better hergonomy. :roll:
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Almisuifre wrote:Long ago I did not meet you here! It was with my old pseudo "Geeks" when I was doing the wheels of the rover. :oops:
Why did you create a new pseudonym? Seems like your last post with the Geeks profile was less than a year ago.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/memberlist ... ile&u=3677

If you lost your people password, you could ask one of the admin and he would reset it for you. They could also rename your old profile.

EDIT: don't know what I was thinking when I mistakenly wrote "people" instead of "password"! :?
Last edited by NormandC on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Almisuifre

Post by Almisuifre »

Well, it's simple. I bring back all my pseudonyms under Almisuifre. Besides, I do not think I'm going back to my old profile. ;)

Unnecessary, my previous profile must remain closed. Less than a merger?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

From what I remember of the Admin control panel, I don't think it's possible to merge two different accounts.