Proposal for GSoC'17

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
amrit3701

Proposal for GSoC'17

Post by amrit3701 »

Hello everyone,

Greetings from India.

It is my immense pleasure to write something regarding the contribution to FreeCAD. After learning about the news of GSoC'17, a project proposal struck my mind immediately, which I and @cnirbhay had discussed earlier on the forum too. Link to that post: (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=17061).

Now, for the project of GSoC, I would like to concise the above-discussed work. Keeping aside the topic of Automation in Design for a while, I would like to focus mainly on developing and successfully implementing the structural rebar libraries with ease in FreeCAD, something similar to the functionality of Revit Extension (Reinforcement).

This work is not something proposed to target just GSoC. In fact, this is something related to developing a tool, a plugin/macro or a workbench which could be very beneficial for the FreeCAD users worldwide to get their structural detailing with ease as compared to the present scenario of drawing the sketches.

I'm looking forward to read some comments on the proposed topic and hoping to get it considered.

Thanking you.

Regards,
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
ickby
Veteran

Re: Proposal for GSoC'17

Post by ickby »

Hello Amritpal,

nice to hear that you are interested in contributing to FreeCAD within the GSoC program. I personaly have no knowledge in the proposed topic, but can help out on any detail regarding GSoC itself. So if you have any question regarding formal things and how we handle GSoC here at FreeCAD feel free to contact me.

As a general note which holds for all studends I like to point out that engaging the community and providing code to FreeCAD (Bugfixes, features etc.) increases your chances for an accepted proposal, as this helps us to determine the level of quality the project could achieve.

Regards,
Stefan
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

In any case, being inside GSOC or not, this is a welcome proposal. Be sure to look at what already exists (the current Reinforcing bar system in Arch workbench) and several of @chakkree's scripts, mostly in https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16375

A good proposal should show that you studied and understood these existing implementations, and propose something that reuses as much as possible what has already been done, and at the same time proposes something new.
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

yorik wrote:In any case, being inside GSOC or not, this is a welcome proposal. Be sure to look at what already exists (the current Reinforcing bar system in Arch workbench) and several of @chakkree's scripts, mostly in https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16375
Hi Yorik,

I went through all @chakkree's scripts and his all work is awesome.

But there are few backlogs present in the @chakkree's scripts:
1. Some scripts are not working properly in FreeCAD 0.17.
2. Layman feels difficult when they try to use @chakkree's scripts.
3. It is difficult to put the reinforcing bars inside a structure.

Things to be done so that a moderate user don't find any difficulty regarding reinforcement:
1. We can make a separate drop down list (as you said in above link) in Arch workbench or make a separate workbench for reinforcing bars.
2. The user can first select a type of reinforcing bar from drop-down list and then select/click the structure (beam, column or slab etc) and when he clicks on the structure a new dialog box would appear which have some predefined values according to the structure's dimensions and if the user wants to change any value then they can change and click on the OK button.
A good proposal should show that you studied and understood these existing implementations, and propose something that reuses as much as possible what has already been done, and at the same time proposes something new.
Yes, I am trying to do the same thing that you have mentioned. By reusing things we can save our efforts. :)

Thanks,
Amritpal Singh
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

amrit3701 wrote:Things to be done so that a moderate user don't find any difficulty regarding reinforcement:
1. We can make a separate drop down list (as you said in above link) in Arch workbench or make a separate workbench for reinforcing bars.
2. The user can first select a type of reinforcing bar from drop-down list and then select/click the structure (beam, column or slab etc) and when he clicks on the structure a new dialog box would appear which have some predefined values according to the structure's dimensions and if the user wants to change any value then they can change and click on the OK button.
That seems a good plan. It would be interesting to detail more what would happen inside the dialog box at point 2., that's where all the real workflow will take place.
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

yorik wrote: That seems a good plan. It would be interesting to detail more what would happen inside the dialog box at point 2., that's where all the real workflow will take place.
Ya, sure, let me explain in a more detail now. The basic purpose of the point 2 is to give the users a total control of the rebaring just by giving the needed inputs. Following are the steps which would be included as a workflow:

1. The very first step would be to select the structural object and select the option for rebaring.

2. Then a new independent dialogue box would pop-out which may include a diagram of the reinforcing bar (with all parameters) and some options for inputs like:
-side cover,
-top/bottom cover,
-type of rebar,
-dia
-type of stirrups,
-number of stirrups,
-number of rebar layers,
-spacing,
-orientation of the rebar,
-development length,
-bent angle,

3. There can be more options to be included as the project proceeds.

@Yorik

If you want to add more things in above and have some different plan related to a reinforcing bar, then please tell me.
Amritpal Singh
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

amrit3701 wrote: If you want to add more things in above and have some different plan related to a reinforcing bar, then please tell me.
Refer https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S03 ... 4.1987.pdf

Sit with Structural / Civil Engineer.

Make wireframe / mockup for anyone element (Slab or Beam or Column).
--
H.S.Rai
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

hardeeprai wrote: Refer https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S03 ... 4.1987.pdf

Sit with Structural / Civil Engineer.

Make wireframe / mockup for anyone element (Slab or Beam or Column).
After studying and discussing in depth, I prepared a sample mock-up for the proposed rebar addon. Following are the stages for rebar detailing:

1. Selecting the desired structural element.
2. Executing the rebar addon.
3. Selecting the type of structural element. For eg: Beam, column, slab.
4. Filling the necessary inputs in the addon dialogue box as shown in the demonstration below (Example taken for beam):
rebar1.png
rebar1.png (48.22 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
rebar2.png
rebar2.png (40.45 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
rebar3.png
rebar3.png (56.76 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
Amritpal Singh
cnirbhay

Post by cnirbhay »

Good work @amrit3701. You can have some more rebaring details here, but for the time being, I think it's okay and you should give it a start. All the best. :-)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

cnirbhay wrote:and you should give it a start.
Point of clarification, that's for the FreeCAD devs to decide.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs