I think the icons of freecad need to be redesigned

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: I think the icons of freecad need to be redesigned

Post by kkremitzki »

Pablo's icon does look pretty cool! I just wish it had a little more "F".
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

I preffer the original icon, but that one is interesting, because the gear is a C and also It looks like the open hardware logo:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Open ... e-logo.svg

I would leave the original colors, I don't like big changes on icons.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

I had a some spare time to polish the logo proposal I showed you yesterday (which was an old design) and now I have a much more balanced idea, even the colors has been equalized to "triad coloring"... it's still a sketch but now I'm happy on how it looks:
freecad2.png
freecad2.png (70.81 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
About not using the original colors, I think they are too bright and "basic", I have toned them to a much more nice looking combination (keeping the triad color wheel scheme) but, as always, it could be improved or dismissed if you don't like it, hehehe
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi Pablo.

In the previous big logo challenge (when the logo actually changed) i participated with my own proposal. In the court of public opinion i guess my attempt could be named as Mountain of freedom you can build upon. ;) What i realized back then is it would likely take extreme effort to change the geometry significantly and to succeed. As in such challenges each of the participants and each of the reviewers has its own personal idea on how the logo should look like. And as the proposals usually aren't 100% aligned with that the general opinion usually defaults back to the current logo. Questions like who and how the final ruling should be done isn't exactly clear.

P.S. But it was rewarding. Just to participate and therefore i wish you the same whatever the outcome will be.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I would like to recognize "C" and "F" in the logo.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

chrisb wrote:I would like to recognize "C" and "F" in the logo.
Yes that is that defaulting back to current logo momentum i was talking about. ;)

P.S. It will/would be extremely hard to overcome this boundary.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I like the aesthetic of a gear for the "C", and think that's a good start for a potentially new icon for 0.17. As far as the aesthetic for an "F", I have thrown together a little something with GIMP as a suggestion. The really tricky part is making it into an icon that looks good at different sizes, and you can still tell what you're looking at.

Anyway, here it is:
F.png
F.png (157.72 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

For me, the visual is more important then the symbolic, I don't really care if there is an F and C or what ever inside the icon (nothing wrong if it is), foremost it has to look and feel good. I like the improved design from pablogil, the original was also nice but the red part felt for me a bit weak, so I made a small change to it, just to throw in some ideas :roll:

I am however not really for the change of the icon for version 0.17, but I do feel that with all the ideas and arguing we are slowly moving somewhere :)
freecad.png
freecad.png (26.91 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

My suggestions to the participants would be invest the time needed and to the proper job. Regardless of the outcome. Once satisfied with the proposal present it and that is basically that.

P.S. And don't throw in just abut anything in regards to the direction the wind is blowing ATM. ;)
Mika38

Post by Mika38 »

Interesting evolution of design in direction of the open source hardware logo. Do not get too close, FreeCAD should not be confused with it. Also, in Saso logo the colours are a little bit flashy, the limit between the blue and the red seems blurry for me.
One last thing, I know it's a logo, but could we have a real gear shape?
Attachments
tmp_23906-oshw-logo-800-px159249951.png
tmp_23906-oshw-logo-800-px159249951.png (39.9 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
Last edited by Mika38 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
;) Le chemin est long, mais la voie est libre :D The journey is long but the way is free 8-)