Fusion operation creates broken object

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Fusion operation creates broken object

Post by chrisb »

I am pretty sure it is not a FreeCAD bug. To prove it, we would need identical FreeCAD versions with different OCCs. Although out of pure interest I would like to know it as well: since the bug is gone in the current 0.17 there is not much to win from this information.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jin

Post by Jin »

chrisb wrote:since the bug is gone in the current 0.17 there is not much to win from this information.
Well, actually there is - each distro may use different library versions, so an update of FreeCAD 0.17 would not automatically mean that there is also an update for OCC available, thus if the bug is in OCC then the newer FreeCAD version would not really help...

I am on Fedora 25 by the way, but so far I am using FreeCAD and all dependency libraries from the repos. I could try to compile the newer version and check...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Jin wrote:Well, actually there is - each distro may use different library versions, so an update of FreeCAD 0.17 would not automatically mean that there is also an update for OCC available, thus if the bug is in OCC then the newer FreeCAD version would not really help...
I see the point.

I checked with this version and a Force_Recompute generates the erroneous fusion:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10410 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 404debb9f2b05991b93c77fbb0f29e12257e4a83
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

With this version Force_Recompute repairs the error from above:
Version: 0.17.10425 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (detached from db66835)
Hash: db66835c6361f236a68ede8db9386e86e10bc776
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 5.6.2
OCC version: 7.1.0

They are not really the same, but close enough to be another pointer to OCC.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Jin wrote:So.. is the fix in FreeCAD 0.17 or in occ? I am a bit confused now :)
Sometimes it can even be a combination of both! :D

It's likely OCC but to be clear, FreeCAD must be run with the same (almost) version of OCC that it was compiled with and with some of the compile time options set the same. So if you are downloading FreeCAD you are stuck with the relevant OCC, but if you compile your own FreeCAD and/or OCC you will have more options.

Don't rely on 0.17 as it is too early in its development cycle and will occasionally likely ruin your project, but it's good to run it as well as 0.16 so you can test it and report relevant bugs etc.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

chrisb wrote:
Jin wrote:Well, actually there is - each distro may use different library versions, so an update of FreeCAD 0.17 would not automatically mean that there is also an update for OCC available, thus if the bug is in OCC then the newer FreeCAD version would not really help...
I see the point.

I checked with this version and a Force_Recompute generates the erroneous fusion:
Version: 0.17.10410 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 404debb9f2b05991b93c77fbb0f29e12257e4a83
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

With this version Force_Recompute repairs the error from above:
Version: 0.17.10425 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (detached from db66835)
Hash: db66835c6361f236a68ede8db9386e86e10bc776
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 5.6.2
OCC version: 7.1.0

They are not really the same, but close enough to be another pointer to OCC.
Almost certainly OCC. :)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

sgrogan wrote:
jmaustpc wrote:for example, FreeCAD 0.17 on Ubuntu still used the very old oce from Ubuntu.
Small correction, until recently FreeCAD used an older version from https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maintain ... ce-release, newer than what may be available form the default repos, depending on your version. Now the PPA uses a very recent opencascade package hosted here https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maintain ... ecad-daily
I think you updated to tanderson69's oce 6.9 branch sometime ago? Did you update OCC for the release PPA as well or just daily PPA?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

No, the freecad-stable PPA is still using OCE 0.17 / OCC 6.8.0 because the 0.16 branch is not compatible with OCC 7.x.

As for updating it to OCE 0.18/OCC 6.9.0, I didn't see much point to it, not to mention that OCE 0.18 is not packaged in Debian yet. I didn't feel like going over the whole packaging process for two different OCC versions, I had enough trouble as it was with OCCT7 (sure good thing we got help from gdo35 because I would probably still be stuck).

But if anyone else is willing, well have at it! ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jmaustpc wrote: I think you updated to tanderson69's oce 6.9 branch sometime ago? Did you update OCC for the release PPA as well or just daily PPA?
No it is the daily which I didn't update for some days. I didn't do so yet, in case there can be gathered more information from it.