Proposal for GSoC'17

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Proposal for GSoC'17

Post by yorik »

Kunda1 wrote:Point of clarification, that's for the FreeCAD devs to decide.
Not at all, anybody is free to work on anything he/she likes...

Would be great to have Bernd's input on this...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

yorik wrote:
Kunda1 wrote:Point of clarification, that's for the FreeCAD devs to decide.
Not at all, anybody is free to work on anything he/she likes...

Would be great to have Bernd's input on this...
@yorik I was speaking in the context of GSOC. In general, yes. But in regards to GSOC there are guidelines, right?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yeah about GSOC indeed there will be a selection. I don't know how many slots we'll have but it might be just one. But @amrit3701 said this would not necessarily be a GSOC proposal...
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

amrit3701 wrote: After studying and discussing in depth, I prepared a sample mock-up for the proposed rebar addon. Following are the stages for rebar detailing:

1. Selecting the desired structural element.
2. Executing the rebar addon.
3. Selecting the type of structural element. For eg: Beam, column, slab.
4. Filling the necessary inputs in the addon dialogue box as shown in the demonstration below (Example taken for beam):
Excellent.

Your approach is great to believe first time user that tool is great with nice GUI. It is fine approach for training purpose.

If you have sufficient resources, then go for this.

But for a professional structural engineer, giving input like this will cost a lot of time.

See if user select a number of elements, and clicking on your add-on, open a spreadsheet to enable user to fill all details in a spreadsheet in a single go. This will save a lot of time.

Still better, if we can import such spreadsheet.
--
H.S.Rai
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

wow a better rebar integration in FreeCAD would be great. I for sure support this in testing and reviewing ! :D

It will need a huge amount of work to get something that work in FreeCAD what could be used in real world. That's is why I have not done anything in this regard (to many other goals :) ) . Since creating rebar modells, rebar drawings and rebar material lists is one of my main daily buissiness, I might could give some input too. BTW I work with Nemetschek Allplan, which is quite sophisticated in rebar drawing and modeling.

We should talk about the data model behind too.

a rebar is mainly described by two "big" properties:
- the shape of the rebar
- the placement vector this rebar is placed inside the structure and the numbers (or distance between) the rebar shapes along the placement vector

It needs to keep in mind the same rebar shape could be on different places ins the same structure, means the same rebar shape could have more placement vectors, or the other world around different placement vectors of rebar shapes could have the same rebar shape.
- on the material rebar bill all the equal rebar shape are put together

Very important note. A rebar model or rebar drawing without the rebar material bill is nearly useless. Because this is what the manufactor needs.

bernd
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

a videa on how the task is done in Nemetschek Allplan ... https://youtu.be/3b4SnbRIFlQ
cnirbhay

Post by cnirbhay »

It needs to keep in mind the same rebar shape could be on different places ins the same structure, means the same rebar shape could have more placement vectors, or the other world around different placement vectors of rebar shapes could have the same rebar shape.
- on the material rebar bill all the equal rebar shape are put together

Very important note. A rebar model or rebar drawing without the rebar material bill is nearly useless. Because this is what the manufactor needs.
This is some way a more practical reply with some very important points. @amrit3701, keep in mind these issues like a number of rebars with similar shape and their unique placement vectors. This will help you to code your addon in a more practical and appropriate way.

Also, give some thought on the 'very important note' mentioned by Bernd. This is actually what we require too. :-)

All the best.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

bernd wrote:a videa on how the task is done in Nemetschek Allplan ... https://youtu.be/3b4SnbRIFlQ
A simple daily example of a drawing, a material bill and and ifc modell made with Allplan see here : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17061&hilit=material+bill#p135030 I do not know about other countries, but this is what is needed to built reinforced structures in Switzerland.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

cnirbhay wrote: @amrit3701, keep in mind these issues like a number of rebars with similar shape and their unique placement vectors. This will help you to code your addon in a more practical and appropriate way.
See for example the rebars of the little columns (no 4 and no 5) in the example of the last post. They have the same shape and the same no in the material bill, but each column rebar has its own placement vector and may be could have different distance between each rebar.
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

bernd wrote:A simple daily example of a drawing, a material bill and and ifc modell made with Allplan see here : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17061&hilit=material+bill#p135030 I do not know about other countries, but this is what is needed to built reinforced structures in Switzerland.
Yes, Sir, I've already gone through the file you've shared. I'll definitely take reference from that and Allplan software too. Also, I'll be consulting you and taking your precious advice throughout the project.

Hoping for the best, wish me luck. :-)

Thanks.

Regards.
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!