OSX background color in 3D view is always black

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

OSX background color in 3D view is always black

Post by chrisb »

I cannot tell exactly because I deleted the old version to try with the current 0.17 but it happened just a couple of days ago:.

When I load an existing or create a new model the background of 3D view turns completely black. It is extremely difficult to see black lines like in wireframe display mode although they are not really black but of darkest grey.

When I open the submenu for the draw styles the color is displayed normal for a couple of seconds and then turning black again. If I try to screenshot the normal version the color in the screenshot is still black.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10672 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 1bde451)
Hash: 1bde45172ea49a618299dd9003784d5c69fc3ff9
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Last edited by chrisb on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: OSX background color in 3D view is always black

Post by NormandC »

Just a shot in the dark, have you tried deleting/renaming your system.cfg and user.cfg files so new ones are created?

Otherwise, I wonder if it's related to the switch to Qt5? I don't remember when the switch occurred for the OSX builds.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote:Just a shot in the dark, have you tried deleting/renaming your system.cfg and user.cfg files so new ones are created?

Otherwise, I wonder if it's related to the switch to Qt5? I don't remember when the switch occurred for the OSX builds.
Thanks, it was the shot in the dark (or better: in the black :lol: ). I deleted the config files and everything was like new!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: [solved] OSX background color in 3D view is always black

Post by NormandC »

Cool!

The "delete system.cfg/user.cfg" combo is like FreeCAD's own version of "format c:". :P
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It was the setting of the background color: If it is set to solid instead of color gradient it is ok.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

chrisb wrote:It was the setting of the background color: If it is set to solid instead of color gradient it is ok.
So, when you set the color gradient, create a new document and add a new object then does the background also become black or does this only happen when loading a project file?
Once the background is black what happens when doing box zoom or box selection?
Do you have a chance to test this with the Qt4 build? If so does it happen there too?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

wmayer wrote:
chrisb wrote:It was the setting of the background color: If it is set to solid instead of color gradient it is ok.
So, when you set the color gradient, create a new document and add a new object then does the background also become black or does this only happen when loading a project file?
Once the background is black what happens when doing box zoom or box selection?
Do you have a chance to test this with the Qt4 build? If so does it happen there too?
I am sorry, I mixed things up: With color gradient it is ok, with bgcolor solid ("simple color" in the preferences) I get the black background.
If you think it might be sensible to check with the newest commit and QT5 as well, please let me know.

In detail:

Version: 0.17.10672 (Git)
Branch: (HEAD detached at 1bde451)
Hash: 1bde45172ea49a618299dd9003784d5c69fc3ff9

bgcolor: gradient
- create new document, new object. OK
- load existing document: OK

bgcolor: simple color
- create new document: background stays grey until I change in combo between "Task" and "Model", no matter which direction. Then it stays black whatever I do.
- load existing document: same behaviour, the background becomes and stays black as soon as I change the combo view.

--------------------------------
Version: 0.17.10692 (Git)
Branch: (detached from 8337a79)
Hash: 8337a7909fb9395a8a931d466b0cee13ea52e5c6
Qt version: 4.8.7

All use cases from above are OK.

(I will remove the "solved" from the first post.)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I am sorry, I mixed things up: With color gradient it is ok, with bgcolor solid ("simple color" in the preferences) I get the black background.
If you think it might be sensible to check with the newest commit and QT5 as well, please let me know.
OK, then as a workaround you can use the color gradient and set both colors the same. But again are you able to build the latest FreeCAD revision against Qt4 to see if the issue might be related to the Qt5 port?

Also does the background go (tmp.) back to normal when you do box zoom/selection? Internally the viewer tmp. changes to a different render mode.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Installed the current version for QT5. The QT4 is built against the latest FreeCAD version (at least it was yesterday), they are only 2 commits apart. The version described below shows the same behaviour as the QT5 version from above.

Box selection behaviour: While dragging the box I can see the color in the box. It turns to black immediately after the zoom.

Version: 0.17.10694 (Git)
Branch: (detached from aa086c1)
Hash: aa086c1dd93a9fcd497e0c9a6525d8338a312013