Crash FreeCAD: Draft WB > Draft Edit tool

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hedgehog

Crash FreeCAD: Draft WB > Draft Edit tool

Post by hedgehog »

Hi,
This bug has now been fixed.

Best Wishes
Hedgehog

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6707 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 5465bc47c95db45e0be85dc0e2872419efadce0f
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Attachments
20150529a-GoldenRectangle.fcstd
(7.49 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Last edited by hedgehog on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Crash FreeCAD: Draft WB > Draft Edit tool

Post by NormandC »

It would help if you described here the issue so viewing the screencast wasn't necessary.

Granted it shouldn't crash, but how did you even think of trying to use Draft Edit on a Sketch? Draft and Sketcher are two completely different workbenches, you cannot simply use one's tool in the other workbench.
hedgehog

Post by hedgehog »

Hi NormanC, Thanks for looking at this.
NormandC wrote:It would help if you described here the issue so viewing the screencast wasn't necessary.
In my experience a creencast is far more efficient and most importantly definitive. That is, it answers the question: What "exactly" did you do before the crash, e.g. moving the toolbars etc. Hopefully someone can reproduce the crash just with the Draft edit tool? But if not, they can see "everything" that was done.
NormandC wrote:Granted it shouldn't crash, but how did you even think of trying to use Draft Edit on a Sketch?
By two errors of mine it seems:
The first error is misunderstanding you here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 86#p145672
My apologies.
NormandC wrote:Draft and Sketcher are two completely different workbenches, you cannot simply use one's tool in the other workbench.
My understanding is that I regularly apply another workbench tool to a sketch. For example, padding the sketch. I it seemed to me that I was doing to the sketch what I regularly do, apply another workbench tool. Just this time it was not a part/part design tool.

So the second error is, misunderstanding the FreeCAD UI principles. Generally it seems that when a tool cannot be used it is disabled/inactive.
If nothing else I was able to learn that today.

But you are correct. It should not crash.

Best wishes
Hedgehog
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

The problem is that nowhere in your topic subject or content do you mention what the bug is really about. People would logically assume that the Draft Edit tool crashes when editing Draft objects, which is not the issue here. If I didn't write about it, nobody would know without looking at your screencast... and this is just wrong. The first thing I did was to open your attached file and see only a Sketch in it, while I was expecting Draft objects - and this had me puzzled.

All the pertinent info should be detailed here without requiring to look at an external screencast you plan on deleting.

Cheers

Norm
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The crash is now solved in git commit 3b06b8616
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

That was quick :D
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

NormandC wrote:That was quick :D
Mostly because it was easy to solve :?
hedgehog

Post by hedgehog »

NormandC wrote:The problem is that nowhere in your topic subject or content do you mention what the bug is really about.
Apologies. I honestly thought "Crash FreeCAD:" was explicit about what crashed.
NormandC wrote:People would logically assume that the Draft Edit tool crashes when editing Draft objects, which is not the issue here.
Which is why I titled the subject "Crash FreeCAD:" and not "Crash Draft Edit tool:".
On reflection my use of a colon presumed an understanding that, in technical contexts, it is used to *precede* an expansion or explanation. This understanding might be English specific and I probably shouldn't have used that shorthand.
Apologies if that caused anyone to go down a rabbit hole or shave a Yak.
NormandC wrote:If I didn't write about it, nobody would know without looking at your screencast... and this is just wrong.
Point taken.
NormandC wrote:The first thing I did was to open your attached file and see only a Sketch in it, while I was expecting Draft objects - and this had me puzzled.
Again apologies for any misdirection or time wasted.
NormandC wrote:All the pertinent info should be detailed here without requiring to look at an external screencast you plan on deleting.
Point taken.
hedgehog

Post by hedgehog »

yorik wrote:
NormandC wrote:That was quick :D
Mostly because it was easy to solve :?
Thanks for your efforts Yorik.

Best wishes

Hedgehog