Testing the Drawing Module

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Testing the Drawing Module

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Luke
Some quick observations

I love the way you can drag items around the sheet.

If I have a circle, the top of the default Part Cylinder, and click dimension, I get radius...works as expected....however if I toggle to Diameter, the value changes but it still says r not d as the text override is still r.

If you put two measurements on one circle, first enter one, then rotate it onto the other side, then add the second, it appears at the default location and at first seems to work, however if I select one radius and drag it around it moves the other one the same amount "relative" to its start position.

To me, a more logical work flow for dimensions would be a toolbar with all the different types selectable manually, rather than the one type that you then have to adjust a property in, ... but that's probably just personal taste and I am happy to go along with whatever you decide.

Drawing View parameters Rotation and scale don't seem to do anything for dimension objects if you enter a value in the property field, nor does anything change in them when you drag a radius around a circle.

X and Y update their values as you drag with the mouse, however if you enter a value you have to close and reopen the file so that the drawing is restarted, then the dimension moved by the amount I had entered. After restart the text was located 100mm to the right relative to the start point, i.e. the circle, however it rotated the text to horizontal and removed the arrow. The text alignment and arrow did not go back to when I dragged the the text around with the mouse, however when I toggled diameter/radius the arrow and text angle came back.

I tried selecting two side of the square from the default part box, and click dimension, I thought I would get a 90degree angle dimension, but I got an error message,

Exception (Wed Apr 9 22:32:11 2014): Cannot measure the true angle

dimension arrow colour changes and "corruption?". Sometime the dimension arrows are sometimes blue and sometimes black.
when I first opened it it looked like this, although I though another time they were black.
bluearrows.jpeg
bluearrows.jpeg (22.99 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
Then for some reason, I don't know why, one went black
onebluearrows.jpeg
onebluearrows.jpeg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
sometimes the length one does this, corruption looking thing
leftarrowgonecrazy.jpeg
leftarrowgonecrazy.jpeg (44.75 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
I'll experiment some more and see if I can work out what does what with regards to the above.

The only Landscape template that works for me at this time is the A4 landscape, (/home/....blah blah blah .../code/src/Mod/Drawing/Templates/A4_Landscape.svg) the other landscape and ISO templates produce the smaller white box above the page as the other have said.

I just tried "A4_Simple.svg" and that seems to work, it is a blank sheet of paper...I assume that's what it is supposed to be? I.e. no boarders, no title block, not anything, just a plain portrait orientated A4 page.

Jim
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

however if I toggle to Diameter, the value changes but it still says r not d as the text override is still r.
You can control that under properties for now. You can change r to d if you want for now but yes in the future this might change automatically. There is one issue with using diameter sign ø instead of d:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6216&start=20#p49944
To me, a more logical work flow for dimensions would be a toolbar with all the different types selectable manually, rather than the one type that you then have to adjust a property in, ... but that's probably just personal taste and I am happy to go along with whatever you decide.
Luke if i am not mistaken already confirmed there will be toolbar available in the future too.
The only Landscape template that works for me at this time is the A4 landscape, (/home/....blah blah blah .../code/src/Mod/Drawing/Templates/A4_Landscape.svg) the other landscape and ISO templates produce the smaller white box above the page as the other have said.
I see i only tested with A3_Landscape.svg for now and got that issue after first set of bug fixes landed:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6216&start=30#p50287

Before that i did not have that issue with the same template used. But knowing only some of the default templates produce this behaviour and not all will probably make it easier to find the cause.
mrlukeparry

Post by mrlukeparry »

Hi Jim,

The crash after you delete a page is fixable, but I'm just finding out the best way to close the view and also delete the page's children.
jmaustpc wrote:Drawing View parameters Rotation and scale don't seem to do anything for dimension objects if you enter a value in the property field, nor does anything change in them when you drag a radius around a circle.
These don't do anything. Dimension labels are currently only change their presentation on the position of the label.
jmaustpc wrote:If you put two measurements on one circle, first enter one, then rotate it onto the other side, then add the second, it appears at the default location and at first seems to work, however if I select one radius and drag it around it moves the other one the same amount "relative" to its start position.
I'll take a look at this, but not sure what's really happening here.
jmaustpc wrote:X and Y update their values as you drag with the mouse, however if you enter a value you have to close and reopen the file so that the drawing is restarted, then the dimension moved by the amount I had entered.
This is a known issue which I cannot really do much about because of the current implementation of the Multi Document Interface. However, it's really not the intended way to position dimensions when editing in the GUI.

Generally regarding the switching between diameter and radius dimensions, I haven't looked at this yet. I'll get around to a toolbar to allow explicit control of setting dimensions as you create them.

The bug with the dimension corruption is due to OpenCascade. When I first discovered it, I couldn't understand why. It happened when I upgraded to OpenCascasde 6.7 from OCE, I looked everywhere in my own code for a solution but I found that it was being caused by OpenCascade.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Luke
Firstly, don't take my comments too seriously, I just opened up your FreeCAD version and experimented for a while and wrote up my experience, comments and observations. There will no doubt be duplications with previous posts etc. :)
mrlukeparry wrote:This is a known issue which I cannot really do much about because of the current implementation of the Multi Document Interface. However, it's really not the intended way to position dimensions when editing in the GUI.
would it be a good idea then to just make them read only like for the placement of a PartDesign item?
mrlukeparry wrote: Generally regarding the switching between diameter and radius dimensions, I haven't looked at this yet. I'll get around to a toolbar to allow explicit control of setting dimensions as you create them.
No worries, I thought you would know about it, I just mentioned it because I noticed. I'd better hurry up with the set of dimension icons then. :-)
mrlukeparry wrote: jmaustpc wrote:If you put two measurements on one circle, first enter one, then rotate it onto the other side, then add the second, it appears at the default location and at first seems to work, however if I select one radius and drag it around it moves the other one the same amount "relative" to its start position.

I'll take a look at this, but not sure what's really happening here.
I thought that was a good find, one of those things you would not ever expect someone to do, so not a bug you would be likely to find. I found it because I was wanting to put a diameter and a radius on the same circle...I admit its not a likely use case...perhaps you could disable having a second radius on the same curve although perhaps that might cause some other obscure bug. Obviously a very low priority bug. :-)
mrlukeparry wrote:The bug with the dimension corruption is due to OpenCascade. When I first discovered it, I couldn't understand why. It happened when I upgraded to OpenCascasde 6.7 from OCE, I looked everywhere in my own code for a solution but I found that it was being caused by OpenCascade.
That sounds a bit strange, did you notice my OCC version which I compiled your branch against was 6.5.0? That's the default Ubuntu 12.04 real OCC. I also have OCE 0.16dev from their git master. I'll compile another version and see if there is any difference. Based on your comments it would appear that either it is a genuine OCC OCE difference no matter the version or is just pure chance that it showed up when you changed OCE to OCC.

Jim
mrlukeparry

Post by mrlukeparry »

hi everyone,

I will be going on holiday tomorrow for the next two weeks. This time it's a bit of southern France and Tuscany. Feel free to keep testing the drawing module, although I won't be able to make any responses till I get back.

Cheers,
Luke
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Enjoy the holidays and forget about DW while you are there. ;)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

For reference interesting macro:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6304
mrlukeparry

Post by mrlukeparry »

I'm back.

I've pushed some little updates tonight. You should be able to create dimensions of a specific type now quite easily.

Also updated with some of Jim's icons both for the dimensions and the orthographic projections.

I noticed I haven't yet implemented First and Third Angle projections. If I'm right it's currently using Third Angle Projections, which is universally accepted as defacto? I know us British supposedly used 1st angle, but even when learning school we didn't use it.

Next step is to make a Task View for the Orthographic Projections.

In the mean time keep looking for bugs.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hi Luke,

Actually currently you're using First angle, if I recall. I'll pull your latest changes and report back.
DomiChi

Post by DomiChi »

triplus wrote: Note: Windows testers would be helpful
I can test on W7 and W8, I have
Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3310 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: cd03973a9bd853a8553f1142403bb48259e4dd3e
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.6.0a
Is it the good exe to test?
Otherwise please tell me where I can find the good one.