Testing the Drawing Module

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mrlukeparry

Re: Testing the Drawing Module

Post by mrlukeparry »

jmaustpc wrote:Hi Luke
mrlukeparry wrote:Okay everyone, I've push a lot of changes through that I've worked on the past week.
Lots of improvements, but I have some new bugs now :)

distance, horizontal and vertical all don't display the arrows and lines in the correct place,
diameter seems to work properly but radius does not. Radius forgets the placement of the text, i.e. after each move it goes back to its default location.

Jim

P.s. here is a picture showing the display problems with the dimensions
screenshotdistance arrows wrong.png

I've made an improvement so that for straight line edges it uses a simpler projection algorithm. This doesn't remove the issue entirely because there's an underlying problem with OpenCascade's memory management which I believe is the culprit behind this.

For now it should happen rarely. Or atleast I hope so now.

TI've noticed an issue with projected type for dimensions on 3D projections.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Luke
I updated and have a few more issues for you :)

When the drawing template is first shown it is not full window but is considerably smaller with blank black around it, perhaps an auto zoom fit would be a good idea?

Orthographic tool

1) Will not display all views and some will only display if another is not displayed,

2) Also the mouse pop up tool tip, I think, is wrong, it says right click for axometric settings, when the mouse is held above a view tick box in when in orthographic edit mode....i.e. when the mouse is held above the tick boxes in this attached image
orthographicaldrawingdisplay.png
orthographicaldrawingdisplay.png (56.56 KiB) Viewed 3730 times
Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3206 (Git)
Branch: drawing
Hash: 542acca8a3aaf76c15dc99e8adf740bb075216eb
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.6.0a
OCC version: 6.7.0
mrlukeparry

Post by mrlukeparry »

jmaustpc wrote:When the drawing template is first shown it is not full window but is considerably smaller with blank black around it, perhaps an auto zoom fit would be a good idea?
Fixed. Also fixed an annoying issue with the drawing view starting automatically.

Not sure about the other issue.
----

When people want to dimension between the centre of circles, how would you approach this normally? I forgot how this usually works. FreeCAD doesn't have entities to describe the centre of a circle. Would people be happy with clicking on the circle and then on the other reference?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

mrlukeparry wrote:Would people be happy with clicking on the circle and then on the other reference?
I would! :D

FYI you can do that in Solid Edge with what's called the SmartDimension tool. I don't remember well but I recall that you can do that in SolidWorks too.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Hi Luke,
unfortunately I've been to fast with announcing a successful compile on win32.
By now most things compile after rearranging some includes, but you are using aAtan2 in some of the source files.
LibPack 8.2 is the last win32 libpack, qt there is to old and does not support qAtan2.
LibPack 9 does support qAtan2 but is not available for win32. VC9 does not compile win64. So I'm stuck

I'll try to update Qt to 4.8.6 in the libpack8.2 but propably this will have to much impact on other parts.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Stefan wrote:I'll try to update Qt to 4.8.6 in the libpack8.2 but propably this will have to much impact on other parts.
Yeah, like actually make some stuff work.... :)

There is a report in Mantis about some svg icons not showing on Windows, presumably because the QT version is so old.....

Is there any good reason for not upgrading all the lib packs so that 0.14 gets released with binaries available with up to date Libs? Or is that considered to likely to introduce new bugs?

Jim
mrlukeparry

Post by mrlukeparry »

this week I've been playing around compiling on windows (another project unrelated to FreeCAD), although I use Visual Studio 2012 (VC11).

It's interesting in the number of difficulties compiling for Windows - especially integrating other libraries, so I even had to make my own libpack and learn how to link everything together. Nightmare really, but easier than i thought.

Stefan, I got your message, I'll get back to you after the weekend.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Luke
My "up to date libs" comments were intended towards master, I probably shouldn't have posted it here. :-)

Jim