fork of assembly

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jriegel
Founder

fork of assembly

Post by jriegel »

I've forked the assembly branch of mine.

Mean:
* jriegel/dev-assembly-old is the old data model with the working solver of ickby and the new PartDesign of jreinlaender
* jriegel/dev-assembly2 is the new data model with the solver temporarelly switched of. Also this branch is at the moment not usably.....

I deleted my old branch jriegel/dev-assembly since I was not able to push an older commit from the time line (git can be a bitch!). If you have a dev version on the assembly branch rebase it on the jriegel/dev-assembly-old branch. But be aware, after the change in data model all document wont work....
Stop whining - start coding!
kcleung

ItemAssembly.h missing (was Re: fork of assembly)

Post by kcleung »

jriegel wrote:I've forked the assembly branch of mine.

Mean:
* jriegel/dev-assembly-old is the old data model with the working solver of ickby and the new PartDesign of jreinlaender
* jriegel/dev-assembly2 is the new data model with the solver temporarelly switched of. Also this branch is at the moment not usably.....

I deleted my old branch jriegel/dev-assembly since I was not able to push an older commit from the time line (git can be a bitch!). If you have a dev version on the assembly branch rebase it on the jriegel/dev-assembly-old branch. But be aware, after the change in data model all document wont work....

I have just checked out your jriegel/dev-assembly2 branch, and tried to compile it. However it fails and shows that ItemAssembly.h is missing

Have you forgotten to add the ItemAssembly.h file to git?

[ 86%] Building CXX object src/Mod/Assembly/Gui/CMakeFiles/AssemblyGui.dir/ViewProvider.cpp.o
/home/mal/git/assembly2-code/src/Mod/Assembly/Gui/ViewProvider.cpp:31:26: fatal error: ItemAssembly.h: No such file or directory
#include <ItemAssembly.h>
^
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [src/Mod/Assembly/Gui/CMakeFiles/AssemblyGui.dir/ViewProvider.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/Mod/Assembly/Gui/CMakeFiles/AssemblyGui.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
mal@mal-virtual-machine:~/git/assembly2-build$
NormandC
Veteran

Re: fork of assembly

Post by NormandC »

Kcleung

Jürgen specifically wrote
jriegel wrote:Also this branch is at the moment not usably.....
To me it means that it won't compile, which was the status of the dev-assembly branch before forking it.
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

normandc wrote:Kcleung

Jürgen specifically wrote
jriegel wrote:Also this branch is at the moment not usably.....
To me it means that it won't compile, which was the status of the dev-assembly branch before forking it.
Of course I know.... I just like to let jriegel know in case if he happens to forget to include the ItemAssembly.h in git ;)

If ItemAssembly.h is already complete, it will just take a few keystrokes to add it in, and we can make it compile.

By the way, do you know about Jürgen's progress in the new branch? I mean what he is doing now in his (private) branch, NOT what he has pushed into the public jriegel/dev-assembly2 branch
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Sorry, I haven't the faintest idea.
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

normandc wrote:Sorry, I haven't the faintest idea.
I have the idea: after looking at the code, I realised that jriegel had refactored the code into different files, so the header ItemAssembly.h is removed, and no longer required.

Once I removed the line:

#include <ItemAssembly.h>

from src/Mod/Assembly/Gui/ViewProvider.cpp

then everything compiles!

Now I am running the FreeCAD program to see what features it has.

Well done jriegel!
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

Just started to run the program. At runtime, it says "No document object found of type 'Assembly::ItemAssembly'

so it looks like jriegel is working on Assembly::ItemAsembly and therefore has not included this part in git?
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

O my...

What of the the statement "not usable at the moment" is so hard to understand!?

I did quit some re-factoring in assembly, and it will take a while to shake things out! I'm at the moment on vacation in the Netherlands and I have no idea when I can sync again.

For things I need to do:

* Path object to track selection on non tree documents
* tools for graph management in the document (find child and father sets).
* import of STEP files which heavy use multiple instances.
* repair what's broken

Also it will have effects on all kind of FreeCAD tools, since none of the objects in assembly will heave a absolute position any more. The relative position of all objects have to be calculated....
Stop whining - start coding!
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

Thanks for all the hard work... and summarising the progress of the assembly branch.

So is it true that all the four items in the TODO list:

* Path object to track selection on non tree documents
* tools for graph management in the document (find child and father sets).
* import of STEP files which heavy use multiple instances.
* repair what's broken

concern with the fundamental file format / base class structures that must be done by you in one transaction?

If so, then is it true that any TODO list items are *dependent* on the above four items above and cannot be started until the above items finish?

In the future, if you have any new unclaimed TODO list items for us, please post on either the development webpage or this mailing list. Then we can apply to claim the items and speed up the development :)
gillial1

Post by gillial1 »

I'm also getting an error during compiling.

Code: Select all

[ 84%] Building CXX object src/Mod/Import/App/CMakeFiles/Import.dir/ImportOCAFAssembly.cpp.o
/home/allen/downloads/free-cad-code/src/Mod/Import/App/ImportOCAFAssembly.cpp: In member function ‘void Import::ImportOCAFAssembly::loadShapes(const TDF_Label&, const TopLoc_Location&, const string&, const string&, bool, int)’:
/home/allen/downloads/free-cad-code/src/Mod/Import/App/ImportOCAFAssembly.cpp:143:42: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’ [-fpermissive]
make[2]: *** [src/Mod/Import/App/CMakeFiles/Import.dir/ImportOCAFAssembly.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/Mod/Import/App/CMakeFiles/Import.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Has anyone seen this and know of a fix?

Thanks