FreeCAD-VR: Oculus Rift

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
RicksonNL

Re: FreeCAD-VR: Oculus Rift

Post by RicksonNL »

Hello Jurgen,
I am new to this forum, I saw the post on reddit. I have been trying to get a STEP file into the Rift in an easy way. Your method seems interesting. I have downloaded FreeCAD and imported a STEP file successfully. How can I get the Rift support installed/ enabled? I see a lot of files at http://sourceforge.net/p/free-cad/code/ ... ft/~/tree/
but I can not download them. How do I do that? And when I have downloaded them, where do I put them? If you could type a short instruction that would be great, thanks!
Rik.
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

At the moment you would have to compile FreeCAD from the git branch I mentioned.
A release at the moment makes IMO no sense, since the SDK 4.2 for the DK2 has some serious shortcomings.

In some weeks I can maybe provide a compiled version with Rift support...
Stop whining - start coding!
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

Good news: Oculus open-sourced DK1 - Firmware, Schematics, and Mechanicals for the Oculus Rift Development Kit 1.

Edit: Image

The Rift model it's a good example to test FreeCAD renderer performance/improvements, I think. About 400 000 triangles and most of them invisible.
jriegel wrote: Or the big architectural stuff Yorik do! No way a smart phone can do that in any time in the future. Nice little games with very little triangle count - sure. But CAD? No way....
I have to agree. At least today. I heard that Android (Note 4) VR triangle limit is about 50 000 per eye. The Rift model is 400 000, Yorik's "floripa" is about 600 000. We have to wait next 5, or more years...
darkjavi

Post by darkjavi »

Awesome work jriegel!! I'been dreaming of this for a while!
Not sure if the oculus is gonna be efficient for the task of designing but for sure it'll deliver amazing show/reviews :D.

I own a DK2, will be happy try the linux port, I have the DK2 working on sdk4 on windoze and sdk3 on linux.
Will your code compile against sdk3?

All the best,
Javi
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

darkjavi wrote:I own a DK2, will be happy try the linux port, I have the DK2 working on sdk4 on windoze and sdk3 on linux.
Will your code compile against sdk3?
It's not necessary any more.
The Oculus SDK v0.4.3 Beta has been released!
Experimental Linux support (see included LINUX_README)..
jhchawk

Post by jhchawk »

Hey everyone.

What's the status of Oculus support for FreeCad-VR?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

jhchawk wrote:Hey everyone.

What's the status of Oculus support for FreeCad-VR?
what O/S are you using?
hotspoons

Post by hotspoons »

Any updates? I'm very curious to try this out. Will this build in Linux against OVRlib recently released for Linux? I really don't want to dirty up my Windows box with compiling toolchains, development libraries and the such since it is just for gaming, but my Linux partition is already set up for that so I'd have no problem trying it out. How about a Windows binary :) ?
overdrivek

Post by overdrivek »

I tried to compile the latest Free cad master with visual studio 2013 and i get the error that "gl.h" has to be included after CAPI_GLE_GL.h declaration. Comes from the project FreeCADGUI.
Any idea how to handle this?
chris_wag

Post by chris_wag »

Hey,

great project jriegel! Thx for the work!

@overdrivek:
I had the same issue compiling it with the new 0.4.4 Oculus SDK. I got it to compile using the 0.4.2 SDK. Maybe you can try this.

Unfortunately I now have another problem:
As soon as I open the VR-View Freecad crashes. Besides this fact Freecad seems to work fine.

If I debug it with VS2013 it shows the following error:

Code: Select all

Unhandled exception at 0x000007FEFD7F940D in FreeCAD.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: [rethrow] at memory location 0x0000000000000000.
Does anyone know this issue?