Importing STEP files and grouping features plus scale

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
KAJ

Importing STEP files and grouping features plus scale

Post by KAJ »

Hello Everyone,

I am new to FreeCAD and 3D cad in general. I am trying to create a drawing using multiple manufacturer's products. I have downloaded the required STEP files and am ready to create a larger drawing out of multiple components combined with some parts that I will design to integrate them together. I am having two problems and haven't been able to figure out a solution to either and haven't found any help in the forums:

1. When I try to move using the translation feature under the data tab (placement), it breaks apart the existing drawing into its parts and moves them differently. This is even when I have selected all pieces of the component that I am trying to arrange on my larger drawing. Is there a way that I can group or combine the original pieces into one new part that can be moved as a group? I tried the group feature in the model tab of the combo view on part designer but did not have any luck. I would also like to rotate and translate these imported step files but haven't had luck. Some drawings work and others do not, so I think it may be in how the original step file was created or saved.

2. One particular component is importing without adjusting the scale. Most of my imports change 10 inches to 254 mm, but one particular file will import 23 inches as 23 mm. Again, is this in how the original step file was created? I tried using the python script that I found on another post to scale the component using draft and vectors and it would not work as it kept saying the draft function was not a valid command. This was done using the part designer workbench, so that could be the problem? I know practically nothing about python.

I've used a couple of other 3D CAD programs (AutoCAD, Google Sketchup) and FreeCAD is the most user friendly to me as a beginner. Any assistance or reference would be greatly appreciated.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4671 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-15
Hash: 244b3aef360841646cbfe80a1b225c8b39c8380c
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
renatorivo
Veteran

Re: Importing STEP files and grouping features plus scale

Post by renatorivo »

Try with FreeCAD v0.16 it contains many improvements.
KAJ wrote:1. When I try to move using the translation feature under the data tab (placement), it breaks apart the existing drawing into its parts and moves them differently.
perhaps much depends on the original file, with good original files, there is no problem. I can move and scale the elements.
Have you checked the import options? Edit->Preferences->Import/export
Show some files

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6054 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 472e6b777a719af82a7d9dcd8b7556448a4f6e17
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

Here's an example
Attachments
stepimport.png
stepimport.png (80 KiB) Viewed 3096 times
KAJ

Post by KAJ »

renatorivo,

Thank you for your reply. I am downloading the V0.16 now and will try to see if this changes anything. I attached a STEP file I downloaded from the Hoffman Enclosures website. When I try to translate this, it will usually not move the front door properly. I just learned about the move function using the part workbench which allows me to move the entire drawing, but then when I try to rotate it 90 deg around the vertical axis, it moves the door to the back of the panel. I suppose I can move the door using the translate or move feature, but I'm interested in if there is a way to avoid having to do that by grouping all the components of the drawing together so they move as one piece.

Thanks for your time!
Attachments
csd24248ss6.zip
(596.12 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

KAJ wrote: but I'm interested in if there is a way to avoid having to do that by grouping all the components of the drawing together so they move as one piece.
You can use Part/Make Compound then you can move/rotate all parts in the compound at the same time.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
KAJ

Post by KAJ »

ppemawm wrote:
KAJ wrote: but I'm interested in if there is a way to avoid having to do that by grouping all the components of the drawing together so they move as one piece.
You can use Part/Make Compound then you can move/rotate all parts in the compound at the same time.
ppemawm - great thanks! This worked for me. I guess I need to spend some more time exploring some of the other workbenches. I've been using mostly part design.
KAJ

Post by KAJ »

So I was able to get my imported drawing to scale using the scale button on the draft workbench. Previously I had been trying to do it using python based off of some code I found from another topic. I believe my error may have been that I was not in the draft workbench when I was trying to run the code? Anyhow, just wanted to follow up in case someone else is having trouble with this functionality.