Help doc not found FreeCAD compiled from master

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Help doc not found FreeCAD compiled from master

Post by NormandC »

Hello guys,

After compiling FreeCAD from master, I can't access the FreeCAD documentation (F1 or Help --> Help menu). Qt Assistant loads, but it reports the following error:
The page could not be found.

'qthelp://org.freecad.usermanual//../doc/Online_Help_Startpage.html'
In /src/Doc/freecad.qhc the file appears to be empty, it is no bigger than 64KB or so.

Any idea what would cause this? I have the same problem when building a debian package from the releases/FreeCAD-0-14 releases/FreeCAD-0-16 branch. http://freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=2271#c6962

Thanks.

Edit: typo!
Last edited by NormandC on Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wmayer
Founder

Re: Help doc not found FreeCAD compiled from master

Post by wmayer »

After compiling FreeCAD from master, I can't access the FreeCAD documentation (F1 or Help --> Help menu). Qt Assistant loads, but it reports the following error:
No, problem here.
In /src/Doc/freecad.qhc the file appears to be empty, it is no bigger than 64KB or so.
For me it's even less, it's ~8KB but that's OK. The help files are embedded into freecad.qch and this is >80MB.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I just installed FreeCAD 0.15.4671 from the Stable Releases PPA on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

I am getting exactly the same error as FreeCAD compiled from master, and from a deb package of v0.16.6700.
FreeCAD_User_Manual_error_01.png
FreeCAD_User_Manual_error_01.png (60.39 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
You really have no clue about this Werner? I'm at my wit's ends. :(
wmayer wrote:For me it's even less, it's ~8KB but that's OK. The help files are embedded into freecad.qch and this is >80MB.
I was not on my desktop PC when I wrote that. On the compiled version, I do have a freecad.qhc file of 8KB and a freecad.qch file of 82MB in src/Doc.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

In FreeCAD 0.15.4671, I made the quick fix explained in that topic from last year: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10606#p85440

And now the manual works in both the 0.15.4671 package and in FreeCAD compiled from master. I'm going crazy! :?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Ok, I found that the obsolete Startpage.html file was removed from /src/Doc/ some time ago (wasn't aware of that). But my debian/freecad-doc.doc-base was still referencing it.

That explains the error on my 0.16.6700 package, but not on compiled master. But I can't reproduce it anymore so I'll leave it at that.

I rebuilt a new 0.16 package and I had to create a debian/freecad-doc.install file with the following content:

Code: Select all

src/Doc/freecad.qch usr/share/doc/freecad-doc
src/Doc/freecad.qhc usr/share/doc/freecad-doc
This time both qch and qhc files are written properly at install. It seems to work now.

Werner, once I am done with this I will try to send a merge request for an updated /package/debian folder. Then I guess we'll be able to close issue #2271 for good.