Edit Control

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jriegel
Founder

Edit Control

Post by jriegel »

Hi guys,
I'm a bit unhappy with our edit workflow for while now. I would like to do some changes now and want your opinion.

First I would move the edit mode stuff from the document to the Controller, since its a Application wide mode.
Then I would make it mandatory that a edit action always open a TaskDialog to give the user more feedback and
control. Even if its a pure 3D interaction. (yes Yorik, that would mean a interface for python and the TaskView ;) ).

Also I would activate the undo in edit again. The sketcher e.g. is able to undo insert and deletion of geometry and
constraints, but its turned of at the moment. We have only to take care that the user not undo further back then
the edit mode started. There he can undo e.g. the SketchObject he edits... :)

Further a GuiCommand which end all kind of editing and bring the application back to normal mode. (like ESC).

And if no objections rise I would remove the SketchFlat code, since its GPL3 and there fore a threat to our license integrity.

What do you mean?
Stop whining - start coding!
yorik
Founder

Re: Edit Control

Post by yorik »

Seems perfect to me!
logari81

Post by logari81 »

jriegel wrote: And if no objections rise I would remove the SketchFlat code, since its GPL3 and there fore a threat to our license integrity.
this would be nice but I am curious to know if its license is the only reason that we steered away from sketchflat?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

this would be nice but I am curious to know if its license is the only reason that we steered away from sketchflat?
No, the other reason is that the solver code is mixed up with all the GUI stuff so that is almost impossible to have a clean code basis., i.e. the pure solver code. Jürgen worked on hat in the past but then gave up at a certain point.
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Actually the solver is really good. Better than sketchsolve, but....
The author abandoned the open source version and made a commercial only version available.

Interesting is the paper he wrote. If we ever want to implement our own solver I would
say thats the way to go:
http://cq.cx/dl/sketchflat-internals.pdf

He use a neat trick by using pre-coded derivatives to speed up the newton solver, which is
blazing fast!
Stop whining - start coding!