New maintainer for the Ship Workbench of FreeCAD

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kaalatrie

New maintainer for the Ship Workbench of FreeCAD

Post by kaalatrie »

Hello Everyone!, I am excited to be here at the start of my journey of contribution to FreeCAD. I was thinking to start from documentation initially. Prior to that, as I was browsing, I came across the message that the Ships module of FreeCAD plugin needs a new maintainer. I said why not! I am up for the challenge. Besides, this is a great opportunity for me to learn many things going further. I already talked to Jose Luis Cercós - current maintainer and the one who posted the message. We are more than happy with this, I hope to get the support of this community too.

P.S thank you all involved in the creation of this magnificent software. It has been a crucial part of my journey and, now I wish to do my bit to pay back.
Last edited by Kunda1 on Wed May 05, 2021 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: renamed post (swapped dated 'Module' term for more modern 'Workbench')
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: New maintainer for the Ship Workbench of FreeCAD

Post by Kunda1 »

Awesome! I would love for this to be maintained, it's such a shame that the code has been rotting. Please post however you need help. I'm sure there are others that would be interested!
Edit:

Related threads:
Repo: https://github.com/FreeCAD/freecad.ship
Ship code that is still in master: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree ... c/Mod/Ship
Wiki: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Ship_Workbench
Exploring FreeCAD for Ship Modeling: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=57647
Fallstudie-Schiff: Spantenriss und wie weiter?: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=22148
Cargo ship - Ship Workbench: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=25280
Last edited by Kunda1 on Wed May 05, 2021 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix thread title
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

karnot wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:29 pm Hello Everyone!, I am excited to be here at the start of my journey of contribution to FreeCAD. I was thinking to start from documentation initially. Prior to that, as I was browsing, I came across the message that the Ships module of FreeCAD plugin needs a new maintainer. I said why not! I am up for the challenge. Besides, this is a great opportunity for me to learn many things going further. I already talked to Jose Luis Cercós - current maintainer and the one who posted the message. We are more than happy with this, I hope to get the support of this community too.

P.S thank you all involved in the creation of this magnificent software. It has been a crucial part of my journey and, now I wish to do my bit to pay back.
This is great! Please update this workbench to something to be used in new applications.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Welcome on board! :mrgreen:
kaalatrie

Post by kaalatrie »

Thank you all for such positive and response and lovely encouragement. I am glad to have all your support. Will surely reach-out with help as I will be needing it going forward.
kaalatrie

Post by kaalatrie »

Note: karnot is now kaalatrie. couldn't change the user name despite looking for options. So created a new account. :D.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

G'day
kaalatrie wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:05 pm Note: karnot is now kaalatrie. couldn't change the user name despite looking for options. So created a new account. :D.
yeah, only an administrator can do that.

We don't want people changing their account names, in fact we recognise a need to ask for consistency across platforms where possible. The quote system and peoples memories are both effected when people change account names. As far as I know, over all the years we have been running FreeCAD there have only been 3 name changes, and you are one of them. Another was just recently. Changing a name is a big deal, so please carefully think what you want and would be happy to keep for decades. Then discuss the matter with me or one of the other admins by PM ("Private message" system within this forum) I will change it once but expect you to keep that changed name indefinitely, unless you have a very good reason to change it.

Also consider that Git Hub or whatever Git system you use, and other places on the Internet are better served by you having the same identity there as the forum for your FreeCAD work. Trying to remember thousands of people's different identities is confusing, particularly if your Git identity which ends up in code "pushes" in the source code repository id different to your forum name.

I am in the middle of moving just now so have been more than a bit overwhelmed over the last few months. I expect to have finished moving by about Christmas this year. So I might be a little slower at responding than normal but if you send a PM I get an email notification, will see it is you and deal with it as promptly as possible.

If you are wondering why moving house is such a long process, well the Australian outback is a rather large place, selling a farm, kid in her last year of high school with end of year exams, all the COVID interruptions/complications, my wife has a new job that she needed to start in the new location, me missing my lovely wife so much that I have to drive up there to see her regularly, yet having to keep the farm until my daughter finishes school, etc. etc. We are only moving a small part of the way across my state of NSW, however the driving time, not counting any breaks, is 7 hours between places....

i have to run now, decide on a definitive name and send me a PM...also decide which account you want to keep, I delete the duplicate.

Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

At your request I have now deleted your duplicate account named " kaalatrie" and changed the name of your older account from "karnot" to "kaalatrie".

For anyone else reading this, we can do this but please only ask if you have a very good reason and don't keep changing it.

I am also sending you a PM but posted this here publicly so that you will be able to read and understand what I have done before you log in, as you might find logging in confusing. As far as I know your old log in name "karnot" will now not work as that account is now named "kaalatrie" but the password should be the same as it was when it was named "karnot". Unless you used the same password with both accounts, you will find that you need to use the new log in name "kaalatrie" (that had been the same as the second account now deleted) but use the password from the old account "karnot", not the password from the duplicate now deleted second account that you created named "kaalatrie". Confusing?? :)
kaalatrie

Post by kaalatrie »

Nope! not confusing at all. I got in with ease. Thank you a ton!. I offer my deepest apologies for any discomfort caused.