Starting to contribute

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
keepitsimplejim

Starting to contribute

Post by keepitsimplejim »

Hi all,

I would like to start to contribute to FreeCAD and I was wondering if it would be better to pick a topic in the bug tracker or put forward a proposal?
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: Starting to contribute

Post by PrzemoF »

Welcome to the forum!

Use search on the forum to find how to contribute or tell us about your skills/interest, so we can point you in the right direction.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

A welcome way to introduce yourself to the forum :D .
I would appreciate it, if could tackle some errors from the tracker.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

keepitsimplejim wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:22 am I would like to start to contribute to FreeCAD and I was wondering if it would be better to pick a topic in the bug tracker or put forward a proposal?
Contributions are generally welcome. :) You can just take bugs in the tracker, but we can also provide some guidance depending on your skills and/or wishes. C++ or Python or both? GUI/Qt/PySide things? Or things close to the geometric kernel?

Also generally changes that modify current behavior/operation/workflow without some community discussion is subject to hurt. What is better for one isn't necessarily for the majority. But as community polls can go to nowhere, my advice would be that such changes are as much as possible be coded as user options.

Finally be aware that code contributing to FreeCAD can be somewhat frustrating as PRs can take a (very) long time to be merged. There are good reasons for this though.
keepitsimplejim

Post by keepitsimplejim »

Thanks for the replies.

As a bit of background in the real world I work as an R&D engineer in the embedded sector.

This means I've been lucky enough to get my hands dirty with Python regularly for creation of one-off tools, data processing, production and maintenance of support libraries. I also write embedded code in C and occasionally touch C++.
And some other random task's I've done is the set-up of CI/CD build systems for embedded system
Implemented the beginnings of a test system using unit-tests and doc-tests.

So I'm kind of wondering were I can help that would be useful for the development of FreeCAD?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

keepitsimplejim wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:52 am So I'm kind of wondering were I can help that would be useful for the development of FreeCAD?
My advice would be to contribute where you like doing it. ;) Bug fixing is great, but providing new features is also cool.