gitlab CI - stage beta, testers needed

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: gitlab CI - stage beta, testers needed

Post by PrzemoF »

Test in progress: pulling all 122 pull requests from github to local repo, rebase with my test gitlab CI commits, push to gitlab to build. Script seems to be working OK. The progress can be tracked here:
https://gitlab.com/PrzemoF/FreeCAD/-/pipelines
and here:
https://gitlab.com/PrzemoF/FreeCAD/-/br ... ive?page=5

It'll probably take 10h to build the whole set :shock:

This is probably the final test of the build system. Then we'll need hardware - I'm working on this to host that machine and there was also an offer for one of forum users to host docker on his server. The option to work on multiple distributed machines seems to be working as well (testers are welcome, I can share the registration token form my repo)

Edit:
out of 122 pull requests 26 fails to apply on master and rebase with my changes
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Nice!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Only 3 builds failed - I guess we can use it to "manually" check corresponding github PR using PR number.
E.g. This pull requestform github:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4940
has been build (or failed to built and test) under link:
https://gitlab.com/PrzemoF/FreeCAD/-/tree/gh-pr-4940

I didn't pull the description, etc, only the content. Green tick in circle on the right hand side means all is OK. It's clickable, so we can see the details if the build/test failed
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

122 PRs pulled from github
26 failed to automatically rebase on top of master + gitlab-CI changes
96 branches pushed to gitlab
93 built & test without errors
2 failed to built
1 failed to test
Total built & test time was ~11 hours, so average time is ~ 6 minutes and 50 seconds.

Mode (most common value) built & test time is 6 minutes: https://gitlab.com/PrzemoF/FreeCAD/-/pipelines/charts
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

So how would this work, new PRs would have to be submitted to gitlab? would pending PRs need to be resubmitted to gitlab? will the github page become just a clone of the gitlab repo?
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

It'll be up the core developers to decide. I'm just doing the legwork.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I'd say it would be no problem to switch to gitlab, I would actually welcome this, but I'm kind of afraid the Travis problem will come again on gitlab pretty soon (the more people migrate to it and they become a large commercial operation).

It is not possible AFAICS to disable pull requests on github. That means that even if we put a message, people will still submit PRs there. Of course that is maybe exactly a problem, and we should push towards platform-independent PRs.

At the end of the day, of course, we should own and host our own CI platform. But until then, my opinion is the more we can hop through free solutions, the better.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

yorik wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:57 am I'd say it would be no problem to switch to gitlab, I would actually welcome this, but I'm kind of afraid the Travis problem will come again on gitlab pretty soon (the more people migrate to it and they become a large commercial operation).

It is not possible AFAICS to disable pull requests on github. That means that even if we put a message, people will still submit PRs there. Of course that is maybe exactly a problem, and we should push towards platform-independent PRs.

At the end of the day, of course, we should own and host our own CI platform. But until then, my opinion is the more we can hop through free solutions, the better.
If I'm not mistaken the compilation is done in independent computers from members of the community so I don't think gitlab would have a reason to limit anything to freecad, the work done by their servers will be light.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

You're right but Yorik it right as well. It the long run (years) gitlab might be taken over by [you name it] and we'll be in the same situation again. Going self-hosting means more work now, but it's the future-proof solution. I got most on the water-cooling system parts for my old laptop and I hope to set up a test server. Probably based on gitlab code unless the community recommend something better.

The current github repo links to different services would have to be modified for gitlab, so I think holding off and testing self-hosting is the right way.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

PrzemoF wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:28 pm Test in progress: pulling all 122 pull requests from github to local repo, rebase with my test gitlab CI commits, push to gitlab to build. Script seems to be working OK. ...
How did you dou that. How did you made a branch on gitlab out of every PR on github?