Extension Manager (ExtMan)

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Extension Manager

Post by Kunda1 »

mnesarco wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:05 am
Kunda1 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:57 pm If a user removes ExtMan via the Addon manager, do these cache files get removed as well ?
No, the AddonManager knows nothing about it.
maybe the cache files need to live in tmp/ then ? or we have a routine in the addon manager that clear the cache files when removing extman...?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:15 am maybe the cache files need to live in tmp/ then ? or we have a routine in the addon manager that clear the cache files when removing extman...?
The problem with /tmp is that it gets removed on system restarts and the cache contains a lot of files, so i prefer to keep it on a more stable location. If there is a way to instruct the AddnonManager to do additional cleanups on Addons uninstalls i will use that. But there is no such functionality as far as i know.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

mnesarco wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:04 am The problem with /tmp is that it gets removed on system restarts and the cache contains a lot of files, so i prefer to keep it on a more stable location. If there is a way to instruct the AddnonManager to do additional cleanups on Addons uninstalls i will use that. But there is no such functionality as far as i know.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-addons/issues/189
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
M4x
Veteran

Re: Extension Manager (ExtMan)

Post by M4x »

The Extension Manager stopped working for me. I'm not able to install anything via this workbench anymore. I've tried to install the Macro_FCBmpImport for example. I've got:

Code: Select all

Install error
This macro must be downloaded from this link: 
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/mwganson/ea7aa4dcb79d7492caa24e8970967174/raw/1fe247b5b93e5084866a69754854d9caedca1f09/FCBmpImport.FCMacro|FCBmpImport.FCMacro

Copy the link, download it and install it manually or follow instructions from the external resource
It works like a charm if I'm using the Addon manager.

Did I do something wrong or is something broken?

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25943 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a65464b722a846bd2999aa2fecdff1132b15b297
Python version: 3.9.7
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Possibly something to do with:

09:25:45  [ExtMan] https://wiki.freecadweb.org/api.php?action=query&prop=revisions&titles=Macros_recipes&rvslots=%2A&rvprop=content&formatversion=2&format=json [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: certificate has expired (_ssl.c:1125)
I don't know whether this appeared before as it's so long since I used ExtMan.

Edit: Xpost, I've raised it with Kurt in https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 82#p540982
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

M4x wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:05 am The Extension Manager stopped working for me. I'm not able to install anything via this workbench anymore. I've tried to install the Macro_FCBmpImport for example. I've got:

Install error
This macro must be downloaded from this link: 
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/mwganson/ea7aa4dcb79d7492caa24e8970967174/raw/1fe247b5b93e5084866a69754854d9caedca1f09/FCBmpImport.FCMacro|FCBmpImport.FCMacro

Copy the link, download it and install it manually or follow instructions from the external resource
It works like a charm if I'm using the Addon manager.

Did I do something wrong or is something broken?
Installing things from the wiki is quite fragile, sometimes a minimal change in the wiki page format leads to changes in the AddonManager / ExtMan, the thing is that AddonManager is actively maintained by the FreeCAD maintainers while ExtMan does not. I do not have time to fix that now or to actively maintain ExtMan, it would be great to recibe pull requests :D I think not too many people uses ExtMan actually but I think I can merge this kind of probably small fixes.

ExtMan maintains a local cache at

.FreeCAD/ExtManCache
if you have changed the FreeCAD version to realthunder or from 19 to 20 or something like that, you probably have to delete that directory (ExtMan will recreate it). I tend to delete that from time to time because sometimes it gets staled.

ExtMan was a proof of concept of a modern Extension Manager, but there are some structural problems related to extensions metadata, so eventually I decided that it is not worth the pain to maintain it on fragile protocols like the wiki one. So what I recommend is to use AddonManager until a real alternative arrives.

Cheers,
Frank.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Too bad, I really like it. Thank you very much for your fast and detailed reply.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

mnesarco wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:20 am So what I recommend is to use AddonManager until a real alternative arrives.
I should also note that I'm making significant structural changes to the Add-on Manager right now, to support the new Metadata format. So bug reports and feature suggestions are welcome. Once the under-the-hood stuff is done, I hope to take inspiration from @mnesarco's work with ExtMan to make some user-facing changes as well.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com