Feature freeze is over - FreeCAD 0.20 was released

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: [announcement] FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon - time for a feature freeze

Post by uwestoehr »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:06 am I will now provide a LibPack that is like version 1.1 but with the updated OCC. Can you please take over for the SMESH part or explain me?
Here it is: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-LibP ... s/edit/2.1

The next step would be to update SMESH but as I I wrote, I don't know how. There is no SMESH I can download and compile.
wmayer
Founder

Re: [announcement] FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon - time for a feature freeze

Post by wmayer »

I thought now I have it but running FC with it shows me that there is an issue in Qt5Network and therefore the Addon-Manager did not work.
It might be an issue with https. In order to support this protocol the Qt5Network module must be able to load the SSL dll at runtime.
I don't understand what it is because the releases of trelau are almost empty, like a skeleton to be filled with other programs.
His git repo uses sub-modules. So you must use the option to check-out the sources recursively. And after that you must run a Python script to copy an patch the source files.

Code: Select all

git clone --recurse-submodules https://github.com/trelau/SMESH.git
Can you please take over for the SMESH part or explain me?
So, do you prefer to use the external (trelau) or internal (FreeCAD's 3rdparty directory) SMESH version?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

The next step would be to update SMESH but as I I wrote, I don't know how. There is no SMESH I can download and compile.
I have tested your libpack with the internal SMESH and it can be used from the FEM wb without problems.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:45 am So, do you prefer to use the external (trelau) or internal (FreeCAD's 3rdparty directory) SMESH version?
This is what I mean with I don't understand the concept of SMESH. What is it? If is is a program, why do we have then its sources in our code? Who updates and fixes the SMESH code in our repository?
What is the difference between trelau's and our code? Where is the official SMESH source code and why don't we use it directly?
Where comes NetGen into play?

I am somehow blocked by not understanding the concept. :cry:
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

This is what I mean with I don't understand the concept of SMESH. What is it?
SMESH is a library that supports 0D, 1D, 2D and 3D entities in its data structure. It's a component of the Salome platform and SMESH actually means Salome Mesh.
If is is a program, why do we have then its sources in our code?
In the past the code was deeply integrated into the Salome code and there were attempts to strip it down for standalone usage.
Who updates and fixes the SMESH code in our repository?
From time to time we did an upgrade to a newer version but it's mainly me who maintains the code to make it working with newer OCC versions. It was also me who ported it to vtk9.x
What is the difference between trelau's and our code?
trelau's repository now directly pulls the code from upstream by linking it as a sub-module. The code in our repository can still be used with vtk7, vtk8 and vtk9 while am not sure if the official version still supports older vtk versions.
Where is the official SMESH source code and why don't we use it directly?
https://git.salome-platform.org/gitweb/ ... ;a=summary
Where comes NetGen into play?
Netgen is an independent meshing library that SMESH is able to use via the NetgenPlugin code. It can be used as an alternative for the built-in mesher Mefisto.
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

Today I deleted the files in the

Code: Select all

~/.local/share/FreeCAD/translations/
directory and downloaded FreeCAD_weekly-builds-28909-2022-05-20-conda-Linux-x86_64-py39.AppImage from the Git repository.

After running the program, I found that many of the resolved GUI translation issues still exist. :roll:

And the question was born:
When was the last translation export from Crowdin done :?:
Twórca polskiej wersji Wiki dla FreeCAD, współwórca polskiej wersji GUI.
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
Kuzma30

Post by Kuzma30 »

kaktus wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:07 am And the question was born:
Looks like Yorik very busy... Answer to question is "This year" :) .
RealThunder's A3 Wiki translation, join the project https://crowdin.com/project/freecad-asm3-wiki
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Kuzma30 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:21 am
kaktus wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:07 am And the question was born:
Looks like Yorik very busy... Answer to question is "This year" :) .
As i said before christmas :lol: Worst case it is not this christmas ;)
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

kaktus wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:07 am After running the program, I found that many of the resolved GUI translation issues still exist. :roll:
@yorik , can you please trigger another Crowdin refresh please?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Kuzma30 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:21 am Looks like Yorik very busy... Answer to question is "This year" :) .
Why so unfair? We develop in our spare time. We have families and jobs. We refresh to and from Crowdin frequently and when there are issues we try to fix it. So please just report or even step in and take responibsibility to do the Crowdin work.

@kaktus , can you imagine to take over some work from Yorik since you have some experiences with Corwdin?