Low hanging fruits

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Low hanging fruits

Post by sgrogan »

Thanks
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

1. Replace hard coded workbech icons with image files.
I will do this at the end of the week or during the week in smaller chunks. Should i go over all of the current workbenches and try to do something like this for all of them:

Code: Select all

.../Resources/icons/Workbench_New.svg
Or leave the existing ones in place for example:

"Mod/Fem/Resources/icons/preferences-fem.svg"
"Mod/Drawing/Resources/icons/actions/drawing-landscape.svg"
I lean more towards consistency therefore using separate icon for workbench purposes regardless of the existence of the preferences icon.

Is that OK with others?

As for the icons themselves i will probably ask for opinion when in doubt. For example should i use this one for Arch WB:

Or the one for preferences purposes:

Is this one OK for OpenSCAD:

The following icons are of too low quality in my opinion and hopefully somebody provides better ones in the process:
  • Test
I didn't look in depth but i thing the icon for Path WB in SVG format is missing.

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... menu_Icons

Ship WB icon would probably be better if text would be removed?

No rush but i would like to hear some opinions on this and hopefully to get improved icons where that makes sense!

Edit: Found the one for Path WB:

triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I read FreeCAD 0.16 thread and basically FreeCAD 0.16 is in "feature freeze" state. Therefore i guess it makes little difference if i do the work now or a bit latter after FreeCAD 0.16 is released. As for policy i will add separate icon for each workbench:

.../Resources/icons/Workbench_Name.svg
As preferences icon is a different thing. This is mostly targeted towards any potential future FreeCAD icon packs as workbench icon and preferences icon should allow to be styled separately.

Anyway when i will have something i will notify you on the progress.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Would be good if other devs share their opinion on this one:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11429&p=115248#p115248
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

One thing i don't like too much is potential icon packs won't be able to change workbench icons. Therefore this is something left for the future efforts.

Anyway some progress report:

This is what i used for OpenSCAD WB. If anybody can find original OpenSCAD icon in SVG format with appropriate licence please attach it here and i will use it instead.

This ones are only in PNG format:

If somebody wants to improve them go ahead. If not i will probably "trace" them in Inkscape for now and that will be it for now.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Great to see you're working on it! I wish we had "thanks" button! ;-)

Can you generate flat view of cube in inkscape instead of tracing that yelowish thing? The function is called "Create 3D boxes" in inkscape
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

OK done:

Pull Request:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14426#p115646
stephendario

Post by stephendario »

maybe for Ship WB
251px-Anchor_pictogram.svg.png
251px-Anchor_pictogram.svg.png (5.09 KiB) Viewed 2092 times
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... togram.svg
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes if there will be consensus i or somebody else can update individual workbench icon if desired. As now only replacing SVG file in master code is needed.

But the icon should be FreeCAD-ish and somebody should put at least some effort into making it instead of copy/paste from the internet.
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

Last night, I gave a small talk on using FreeCAD at our local maker space. One of the audience pointed out that the capitalisation in the tooltips (specifically in Part Design) is inconsistent eg "Pad a.." vs "create a pocket...". I think the right way to go is capitalising the first letter, as most of the tooltips do. Perhaps finding/fixing these through FreeCAD would be a good starter project? -Ian-